+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Fly Fishing Rod/Reel

1. Default

My first outfit was a Shakespeare combo that came in a shrink wrap package. Rod, reel and line included. The rod was fiberglass, the reel was plastic, real plastic, and the line was, well, I don't really know what the line was?
    It was maybe an 8wt rod? At least I used an 8wt line. I broke it 3 times in the boat, twice on the boat cleats and once taking out my frustration on a tree. My dad repaired it all three times with an autobody fiberglass kit. Talk about heavy.
    I eventually replaced that outfit with a 6wt Browning Silaflex rod and Martin single action reel. Still have it, too.

[This message has been edited by bstacy1974 (edited 03 March 2006).]

I think I was about 18 years old & bought an 8wt Courtland outfit with auto reel & level line (multi-purpose??) at the local hardware/sports store....got so disgusted with overpowering gills, I gave it away & started again at age 54...I'm 59 now. Back in the 60's, flyfishing was literally unheard of in Ohio, so you couldn't get good advise. Only input for warmwater FF was from Jason Lucas in Sports Afield Magazine...I wanted to meet him SO badly.
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

My first fly rod and reel were a cheapie set from Wal-Mart, a Kwik Kast outfit made in Korea. (Too any "K"s there...) It had a level line and was nothing special, but it worked and that's all that I asked of it. I think that the second one was a Skakespeare rod and reel, also bought from a Wal-Mart. My most recent is a St. Croix. Vive la difference!

Ed. I am just curious. Did you purchase the St. Croix at a fly shop or on line? You probably picked up a new reel and line too? Like you say, the differance is like night and day. In my opinion, St. Croix is very good equipment and quality for the money. You shouldn't have to replace your new rod for many many seasons to come, if at all.

+ Reply to Thread