+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float tube

Default Float tube

I noticed this week while reading someone's post, that they recommended wearing a floatation device of some kind while fishing from a float tube. I never have. I figured if I ever turned over I would just grab hold of it. I would like some feed back from those of you that use a float tube a lot. Thanks in advance. mathcarver

Mathcarver, I don't know what kind of float tube you are using but if it's an inflatable you really should have a PFD with you when floating. I have seen float tubes seams split and go down. A friend was tubing in Trumble lake in eastern California and had a seam split on his tube. He was real greatful for having his PFD on.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I am using a fish cat 4 and I never thoutht about a seam coming undone. thanks for reply. I am not in real good health so I thing I might better otta start wearing one.

A couple of years back I lost my balance re-entering the river after a break and found myself with my feet higher than my head which was in the water. I was wearing a manual inflatable type PFD and although I did not inflate it I remembered I had it on and had the water been deeper it could have saved my life. The DNR reg's in GA requires a PFD on public water, it's a good idea anywhere. Tell Santa you want an inflatable PFD, they are very comfortable. The fish cat has two bladders and two blocks of foam but there are places I wouldn't want to rely on less than everything working properly.

Having spent some time in south MS (retired MS Army National Guard) I'm curious, where do you fish down there?
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 11-11-2010 at 04:04 AM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I fish in private ponds or some I think could be considered small lakes. I don't know what the criteria is that separates a pond and a lake. Some the ponds I fish are pretty large.

I was just looking on Google Earth, you do have lot of lakes down there. Is Percy Quinn's lake any good? I was also looking at what I think was Silver Creek south of Monticello. That should be a good float if you had a buddy with a tube to set up a vehicle drop downstream of your put in. I learned to swim in Silver Creek around Stumptown about half a century back. You have some nice creeks down there, I had an opportunity to fish the Big Black Creek north of Pascougla years ago and used to go swimming a Black Creek (before it joins with Red Creek to form the Big Black) south of Camp Shelby. There are probably some interesting oxbows off the Pearl River, I have aways heard strong warnings about the currents in the river, don't think I would want to try it.

You might want to check your state regulations, here in Nebraska it is required by law that you have a pfd with you when you are in your float tube.
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

The other problem with "just grabbing the tube" (and manual inflatable pfd's for that matter) is the assumption that you are still conscious to do so. Lots of things can go wrong,and almost by definition you are no longer in control when they do. I'd rather be a little more uncomfortable than a lot less alive.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Even if you are an accomplished swimmer of the Olympic competitor class, you should always WEAR a PFD while in a float tube or other inflatable single person watercraft. Just common sense. Like a pistol, you never need one until you need one badly. Collisions with other watercraft, becoming tangled in brush, ropes, lines unde the water, ripping open one of your bladders on sonething sharp, all can leave you in an unfamilair attitude, bang you into things, knock you unconscious, etc.. A PFD gives you a chance to survive this.

Depending on your size, non inflatable PFDs can be comfortable to wear. I agree with Bluegill, the manual inflatable PFDs are comfortable, but not as safe as either the non inflatable ones or the 'automatic' inflatables. The automatics are becoming more and more popular, but cost a bit more.

You can find some PFDS that are built like fly vests, so you don't have to wear your vest on top of a PFD. This eliminates bulk and makes it more comfortable to wear.

Even the 'Ski Belt' type floatation device is better than none.

Which brings us to the real issue. You are going out on the water to enjoy yourself. You won't wear an 'uncomfortable' PFD. So what you need to do is find one YOU can wear comfortably. Good ones aren't inexpensive, but compared to the alternative, they are one of the cheapest safety items you'll ever buy.

If you go to a place that sells boats and/or gear for boaters, a full service marina, someplace like that, you will find a wide range of these devices available. Even Bass Por or Cabela's stores will have a wide selection. Find some that fit. Make sure the salesperson knows what you want it for, and get their agreement to take it back if you can't wear it comfortably.

If you have to try a few to find a 'good' one, so be it. It will be worth the effort in peace of mind, and it could save your life.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy and Bluegill,

You both bring up good points on PFD's, I have a vest type that is very comfortable, although very warm on a summer day in the sun. A young man I have fished with this summer bought an auto inflate PFD only to have it activate in his garage. The humidity in the air was sufficient to cause the device to activate, metro Atlanta is relatively dry compared to south Mississippi. Before I got the inflatable PFD, I always had one with me tied to my tube, since I got it I wear one. If I get knocked unconcious while fishing, I have probably been hit by a boat, hopefully he will stop and pull me out of the water. If not I'm prepared, not ready but prepared and will be better off.

+ Reply to Thread