99% of my fly fishing is with nymphs, streamers, buggers and wet flies. I hardly ever fish dry flies. I have made furled leaders from just about every material out there to find one that "fits" my "style" of fly fishing and Berkley Vanish Transition Gold in 4# test is the best for me. I feel it is the only material that once furled, it sinks very quickly and takes my flies deeper than any other leader or material. I always attach at least 5 to 6 feet of either 6# or 4# fluorocarbon for my tippet. With this thought in mind, if I wanted to fish a dry fly for any reason, I can still fish it because by the time the furled leader sinking starts to affect the dry fly, my dry fly has already drifted through the section of water I wanted to fish due to the length of my tippet. Bare in mind that I am talking about fishing rivers where there is always a current. If I am using 6# test fluorocarbon for my tippet and decide to swing smaller wet flies, I will triple surgeon knot some 4# test on the end of the 6# test to give the wet fly more freedom of movement. I do not use tippet material for my tippet. I purchase 4# and 6# fluorocarbon in bulk and respool it onto smaller spools to carry with me on the river. I have tried Berkley Vanish and feel it does not sink as fast as the Berkley Vanish Transition Gold.

I know my style of fly fishing goes against most traditional ways of fly fishing, but, it works for me and I can usually catch my fair share of trout on each trip.

Just my way and nothing more......