Salmon come in plenty of different sizes. A lot happens in July in AK w/ respect to salmon runs. Check out the historic timing on the rivers you think you might fish, then consider snow pack. Heavy runoff = later runs, light runoff = early runs. Early July in most places is still good for Kings but by late July many fish will be on their redds and you won't want to fish over spawning fish; it's unethical and they aren't as inclined to take flies. So you're probably looking at chums, pinks and sockeyes that time of year. Although you can handle Pinks on a 5 or 6 wt. pretty easily, consider an 8-wt for your trip. A 9/10 wt. is ok for kings but too much for the other three species available in July. Plus an 8-wt is not too heavy for bigger rainbows. And you might be able to use the rod at home for Bass or Pike. If you have a 6-wt bring it you might just end up fishing for grayling, dollies, trout and/or pinks.

I'm not sure if they still make it but Cortland used to make a rod called the Precision II in a 9' 8-wt that was really nice. Other options (no surprise here) are St. Croix, TFO, Redington, or entry-level Sage. Or you could look for something used on ebay, you might be able to pick up a used Sage RPL or something for a decent price.

You'll also need a sturdy reel with a disk drag. I'd suggest a used Ross Cimarron or Gunnison #4. You can probably find one on e-bay for about $100 or so. If you're serious about the fishing get an interchangable-tip windcutter with a floater and a type 4 sink tip. Otherwise, to save $$, just get a floater and used lead-eyed flies. Don't use 20 lb backing use 30 lb and get really strong tippet. I use 0x-2x Umpqual for Rainbows and 0x or heavier for salmon. The fish don't care in most places you'll fish streamers and the fish aren't leader shy.

Have a great trip let us know how it goes.

-John