+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Very Strange Sight

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    When fishing from my pontoon boat I sometimes carry a spare rod, usually a spinning rod. When on foot, it's all I can do to manage one rod.
    Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

I'm not surprised that an angler in a boat, canoe or float tube might carry extra rods. I generally have between three or four rigged fly rods ready and within easy reach when I fish alone in my canoe. I've seen many float tube guys carry an extra rod. The amazing thing about this angler was that he carried three rods while wading and fishing in the middle of a rapid, medium sized river. The way he carried the two extra rods in his left arm pretty much ruled out using his left hand for line control, reeling, hauling or even nose scratching. He had no place but the fairly fast river to put his extra rods down if he wanted to use his left hand. BTW, he also carried a net; I don't know which hand that was going to go in. 8T

8T - yes, in a boat it's not too hard but I've never had much success trying to carry 2 rods while fishing on foot. Sometimes back in my bass fishing days, I'd carry a couple rods strung up with different lures when on foot but that was mainly fishing from shore on a lake where I could set the extra one down.

Trying to wade, manage a fly rod and fish in a fast moving stream while carrying extra rods in one hand while trying fish with the other is a skill I've never mastered or even tried for that matter.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Perhaps it wasn't fish he was after but missplaced and lost fly rods.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    Perhaps it wasn't fish he was after but missplaced and lost fly rods.
    Perhaps he was in on-site, fly rod sales and Better Loops and I just looked too poor to bother with. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by branhap View Post
    Sometimes I carry a second rod, simply because I like to switch between streamers and dries on the same run. I usually just drop one on the bank work the run, eventually go back and snag it, and fish the run with the other if I choose to. I agree, 9 times out of 10, I prefer just having one rod though.

Paul
    I also usually carry two rods too. One sits on the bank while I use the other. I use one more than 90% of the time, but would hate to change up the multiple droppers just to try a different fly combination for a few casts.

JR

+ Reply to Thread