I used to think there was something to be said regarding a balance point, now I'm not so sure. Two seasons ago I started to fish with a fixed length line (no reel).

There is no counter weight/balance below the hand. The rods weigh about 2.5 - 3.5 ounces, pretty comparable to a rod with a reel seat. Even though there is no counter weight/balance, the reel rods feel VERY light in hand, almost to the point of seeming weightless. Of course the total absolute weight of the rod sans reel is about half the combined weight of a rod and reel/line/backing, but again the entire weight of the reeless rod is out front. The lightness in hand may be due to the fact that they are indeed very light in mass, not sure I can quantify it, only know what I feel.

One of the first things that struck me when I started to fish a fixed length line system is how fishable said system would be for anglers new and seasoned who might be recovering from a problem which results in a loss of arm strength or mobility. The casting motion itself is very smooth, delicate, and subtle.