+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite time of year to fish?

When the water isn't frozen!! ...or stinking hot.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I'm afraid that I'm another anytime guy. I like fall because fishing picks back up a little with the cool weather. I like early winter because of the solitude and it takes a long time to get cold in South Carolina. I like late winter and early spring because there are always some nice warm days here. Summer, well summer can be a very hot bummer sometimes. I think Mato Kuwapi has hit the phrase for summer---sinking hot! 8T

Actually i do have a favorite time to fish but it is often preempted by time. I have thus far in life been fortunate enough to be able to fish on the majority of my vacations. I plan them that way . My wife, (whom i adore,hasn't seen the wisdom of flyfishing yet and probably never will), doesn't share in a majority of my vacations.
    I however, am preferential to fall when it comes, because it is so beautiful and usually means bigger fish and fewer fisher folks. Having said all of that, days that end in Y are always at the top of my list too. : )

Rich
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

I love those days in the spring was the days lengthen and the bream are getting ready to bed knowing the days that follow until October will be longer. When it get "stinking hot" go over the Hooch with some soft hackles and dry flies and try to figure out trout. But here in the northern half of Georgia it is warm enough to fish a little year round without owning a fortune in gear and your neighbors thinking you are a total fruitcake.

Now I am perplexed do I continue to trout fish or go back and chase bluegills now that they should be returning from the deep water and the bass and catfish offer a better chance at a really large fish. The muscadine on the side of the lake should be ripe too.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 09-13-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Cold Guest

The month of April
    Mid-Sept to Mid-Oct
    and a warm day in January

In that order.

Unfortunately, most of the local streams are little more than muddy troughs right now, we need rain badly. Last year, prime time was just getting started, and a 3wt, and a green sparkle caddis emerger would catch you a trout every few minutes, sunup to sundown, as long as you kept it in the water and your whip-finish on your fly held. This year its tough finding water that's holding fish.

Blog Entries

October--it's so simple

the fish eat large crickets with abandon, and i catch my largest fish of the year

they don't mind the orange vest i wear to keep the hunters from shooting me.

i do stay away from the redds and spawning fish
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

I really like fishing in the fall, and that is my favorite time to fish, but I have gained a fresh appreciation this year for the "Hopper Season" from mid July through mid September. This year has been amazing and with hopper numbers dwindling by the day on my local rivers I can't help but feel a little sad that this season is almost done. Soon I will be trading those #8 hoppers in for #24 BWO's.

Winter all the fair weather fisherman stay home!!

NOW!

I assume a personal point of reference. Of course there are runs, spring summer, fall, winter. I like to fish anytime.
    Bear742

I'm another guy that likes the Fall. I like to come out in the morning and see my breath in the air. And then let it warm up just enough I can't see my breath anymore.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread