Well folks....on a serious note, there is no intention of starting a war or singling anybody out. But I do find myself on the outside of these discussions more than not. While I don't personally own a 1wt or an 0wt.....I don't specifically target the ultra-lite extremes of fly fishing. I have nothing against it at all. Nor do I have anything against folks who choose to fish the heaviest they can get by with. The lightest rod I have is a 3wt glass rod. But I try to match the rod to the water & hatches. I've caught some large trout on that little 3wt. It was an enjoyable experience. Likewise, I find no enjoyment after setting the hook on landing a 10" fish on a 7wt rod. For me, the playing of the fish is a huge part of fishing. And if the gear I am using will not break if I make a mistake when playing a fish, then after hooking the fish I am done as far as that catch goes.

In extreme situations.....a 30lb king on a 5wt trout rod.....a 20lb carp in moving water on a ultralight spinning rod....a 200lb ray on a light surf rod.....I would and have cut or broken my line. But honestly, it was more for the uselessness of losing an entire line, burning up a reel, or breaking a rod in an excersize in futility. Not because I didn't "want" to land the fish. That's just me.

If I finally set the hook on a 24" brown on a #24 trico spinner.....on that little 3wt glass rod? Sorry, but it's game on for me:^) That's why I'm out there:^) And if I do everything right....exactly right....I'll land that fish. and do everything in my power to release it in good health. But I'll do it all the while knowing that if I make a mistake....even the slightest mistake, the fish will win.