+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadly Dozen Swap

Sjo Crapels, Kloosterkoolhof 12, 6415 XT, Heerlen, the Netherlands, Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Please someone give "sjo" a warm water pattern to tie, looks like he wants to change.
    Since Greg mentioned the wonder about mijn patternchoice I asked him to help me out, I assume he will.

I need your e-meiladress too, Wes.
    Sjo
    Last edited by sjo; 08-16-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Spelling again!
    Let the fly be with you....

sjo,
    I have had luck with many different patterns for warmwater fish. Most of my fly box is filled with small baitfish patterns size 6-12 and buggy stuff in the same size range. A lot of people use very bright colors. If you'd like some more ideas, just shoot me a PM!

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Zac & Jeffro (via pm) helped me out. I'll switch to a minnow pattern.
    Thanks guys, for your help and sound advice.
    Grtzzz...
    Sjo

Salmon hook Mustad #10
    Tail bunch of mottled green/olive hare's zonker
    Body brown/olive mottled chenille
    Rib golden coloured copper thread counterwrapped
    Hackle hair off the zonker in split thread technique
    Tying thread olive
    Last edited by sjo; 08-17-2010 at 09:50 PM.

sjo: Sorry so to not get back sooner - I was warmwater fishing in central Ontario. Quivra nailed it with a simple answer similar to what I would have said.
    Most of my smallmouth bass fishing is with size 6 streamers or bugs such as you have chosen. Sponge minnows or spiders in about the same size work too. It seems you are tying a brown version of the Casual Dress Nymph, and this will be great. A wrap of lead on the first 1/3 of the body would add that diving, wiggling action.
    Just to let you know - You were originally going to do a CDC pattern and my general comment on that (since I also fish for trout) is that my CDC trout flies are usually about size 16. And yet most trout dry flies and nymphs would work for warm water fishing if they are upsized to about size 8. A size 8 CDC fly could look like a moth or dragon fly. In practical terms however, it would be eaten so quickly, and CDC is so fragile, that the fly wouldn't last long. A similar dressing using something more durable would do the trick however.
    Thanks for switching - I am looking forward to your flies and those from the other participants. I will be sending 12 flies so Wes can make a donation to someone/place deserving.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    hry y'all
    i need to know who needs my mailing address.
    I'll need it eventually!

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    sjo: Sorry so to not get back sooner - I was warmwater fishing in central Ontario. Quivra nailed it with a simple answer similar to what I would have said.
    Most of my smallmouth bass fishing is with size 6 streamers or bugs such as you have chosen. Sponge minnows or spiders in about the same size work too. It seems you are tying a brown version of the Casual Dress Nymph, and this will be great. A wrap of lead on the first 1/3 of the body would add that diving, wiggling action.
    Just to let you know - You were originally going to do a CDC pattern and my general comment on that (since I also fish for trout) is that my CDC trout flies are usually about size 16. And yet most trout dry flies and nymphs would work for warm water fishing if they are upsized to about size 8. A size 8 CDC fly could look like a moth or dragon fly. In practical terms however, it would be eaten so quickly, and CDC is so fragile, that the fly wouldn't last long. A similar dressing using something more durable would do the trick however.
    Thanks for switching - I am looking forward to your flies and those from the other participants. I will be sending 12 flies so Wes can make a donation to someone/place deserving.
    Okay Greg, thanks for you extra input. I will make some extra turns of copper thread in the first 1/3 part off the fly. The overall colour is more green than brown. I will also ty 12 flies to make a donation to whatever cause Wes would seem appopiate. I'll also include an orange jighead CdC streamer for the swapmeister.
    Grtzzz....
    Sjo
    Last edited by sjo; 08-18-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Spelling, what else?

very nice of you sjo. thanks a mil.

btw i have a new hard drive, cloned from the old one, installed and booted into win7.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

alright, I'll be tying small ep minners...
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

is there still room ??? if there is i am in ....tell me if i am in i will tell you my tye
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

foambug65
    we'll have to see what the others say. i have one set of flies so that makes things a bit difficult. if anyone else has sent flies then i'll say no. if not we'll work it out.
    Last edited by Wes; 08-24-2010 at 01:55 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

+ Reply to Thread