+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why buy new rods?

Default Why buy new rods?

I have read the Sage thread. You buy a great XP and then, they come up with another and we are supposed to buy that? What's up with that? Reminds me of golfers buying new drivers to brag about at the 19th hole.

I have rod that are new (ish) and old slow glass and boo. I have never understood the need to go buy whatever the makers put out. I don't understand why we buy the things...of course the first fish I caught was on a hand line baited with crab.

Colston, no one is saying you have to buy a new rod.
    I think the number of reasons could be infinite.
    You break one.
    You outgrow one and want to upgrade.
    You want a different rod weight.
    You want a faster action rod-
    Or a slower action rod.
    You want one for a back up, or the old one will become a back up.
    Because you want one.
    Because you can.
    Just a few reasons.
    And what about the newbies? The have to start with something.
    Progress, I think is the key. They're just providing what people want (and maybe they are dictating what you should buy) And you have to admit they have a great product for most flyfishers.
    It's almost like computers. But I'll be damned if I would work on a 386 with dial up these days.

Colston,
    I'm 105% in agreement with you on the "new" fishin poles. I buy when mine wears out and THAT hardly ever happens. On the other hand, golf clubs are a bit different, especially drivers. They have gotten SOOOOO BIGGG that the
    "sweet spot" is about 9 square inches. One can hardly miss hitting good shots with one. Even having said that, I ain't payin $300 for a golf club but I do ,on occasion, splurge for a "knock off" for about 20% of the original. Even then, "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian ( or Native American)".

Mark

I let those that have to have the latest found out it isn't what they want and sell them used. The last "new" rod I bought was a nice Sage 2 hander that I had cast at a clave and fell in love with. I waited and bought a used one in like new condition with two new lines thrown into the deal for several hundred dollars less then the new price. Mostly I fish what I have although I am now looking for a nice fast action 3 or 4 weight, used. Haven't found what I want yet but it will come along in time and I know I will not pay anything close to original price.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I have 12 or 13 rods. Only one was bought new. I don't hav a local shop, so I get almost all of my gear online. Either from bulletin board sale forums or Ebay. I know I don't get a warranty, but I am careful with my stuff. Just picked up a like new T&T rod for $240 to my door. It retails for $600. If I don't like it, I'll resell it for what i have into it. I have never care about lighter, faster new color rods. I like classic Winston and Orvis rods (graphite and bamboo).

I would think the main reason rod manufacturers come out with a new line of rods every so often is because of the competition between the companies. They can't be one-upped so they make another one and say its the best ever made.

My big river rod is a Sage SP 6wt that I bought, new, quite a few years ago. The most I had ever paid for a rod. Before that. is was run-of-the-mill fiberglass. The only rods I buy now are at auction sales, if I get a deal on them, to add to my/son's, grandson's collection. I won't buy another new high-priced rod at my age. I don't even look at the catalogs anymore.

George

Buying new fly rods is therapeutic. lol.

Blog Entries

buying a new fly rod is like buying a new car--some of us do it frequently, and some of us are proud to drive old bangers and fish old sticks. The makers of both cars and rods will put temptation out there, and it's up to us in the end.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

It is the competition that keeps the industry going - it is a good thing. Each year we see lighter nicer rods come out. I still enjoy the old Loomis 8' 5wt I built from a blank my son bought me back in the 80's the most.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

i just look at the catalogs, smile to myself , thinking wow thats a mortgage payment, by the time you put a decent reel on it and a line. I have had pickup trucks cost less than the top of the line products
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

+ Reply to Thread