+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Five Wt Shoot Out: Surprise

Default Five Wt Shoot Out: Surprise

Interested in how the 'top' five weight rods in the country match up? VERY surprising stuff.
    http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Fly...rodtesting.asp

George Anderson and staff have been doing this sort of thing for a while now, and they seem to have a system. I'll bet you are surprised too.
    Hugs.
    LF

Normand Guest

i think one has to remember that article is probably 4 plus years old and may not represent todays technology of fly rods

from the website "X-mas 2006 (5 weight shootout)"
    Last edited by Normand; 07-22-2010 at 07:29 PM.

I can easily think of five bamboo rods I'd prefer over any of these, 2006 or any date.
    That's just me and my opinion.
    I've got a $85.00 Cabela's graphite rod I bought around 1970 that I would put up against any of these in a casting and fishing contest. Again, just me. Haven't fished it for about 25 years now.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I may have missed something, the date on this article is Thursday, July 22, 2010. The Albright rod he mentions is brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    I may have missed something, the date on this article is Thursday, July 22, 2010. The Albright rod he mentions is brand new.
    I also wondered about that, but the Orvis Zero Gravity was replaced by the Helios several years ago and isn't even produced anymore. Maybe the date on the article is actually the current date? We'll see if it changes tomorrow.

Today it says Friday, July 23, 2010 at the top. It changes every day.
    I read the article at least 3 years ago. There was a big outrage on the Winston forum over the piece.

Normand Guest

the date on EVERY article was july 22, 2010 (yesterday)

i believe that date was for the website

the albright A5 has been out for a few years now

the A5 has also been given a new name http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-r...-rods-new.html
    Last edited by Normand; 07-23-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Old news is good news as they say. I've had the review bookmarked for a couple of years now and I value George's opinion. I would certainly buy the A-5 if I was in the market. I did drew-el over the Albright sale this spring but I congratulate myself for not spending the unnecessary cash on stuff I really didn't need.

1970 seems early for a graphite rod. I thought I purchased one of the first produced in 1974. In the interest of history please correct me if I'm wrong.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Maybe I'm missing something but when I read the article it shaped up how I would have guessed. In the final results the order is Sage Z-axis, Loomis-GLX, Tom Morgan, Scott G2, Winston BIIx, and then the Albright A-5. I guess having the Orvis rod score 9th is a little bit of a surprise, but then again I'm not the biggest orvis fan.
    Just my thoughts
    Clint

Quote Originally Posted by hairwing View Post
    Old news is good news as they say. I've had the review bookmarked for a couple of years now and I value George's opinion. I would certainly buy the A-5 if I was in the market. I did drew-el over the Albright sale this spring but I congratulate myself for not spending the unnecessary cash on stuff I really didn't need.

1970 seems early for a graphite rod. I thought I purchased one of the first produced in 1974. In the interest of history please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'm sure you're correct Hairwing.
    I'm getting so old now I'm lucky to hit the correct decade!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

+ Reply to Thread