The eastern US is growing increasingly fond of the gentrification of trout water. Well, it's increasing everywhere, but in the east it is getting to the point where finding access to trout fishing is getting challenging already in many regions. And they tend to use all sorts of stunts to get it done: from using non-profits as a front for the work done on what will quickly become a private fishing club or commercial lodge stream to get folks to donate labor and materials to things like Ladyfisher called them out for in PA.

I too applaud Orvis for setting up this teaching facility and making it free. And I don't mind a bit of "commercialization" when those entities are actually working at recruiting and teaching new anglers, doing conservation work, etc. like LL Bean, Orvis, and Bass Pro Shops do. They're all 3 great corporate citizens. I can't say the same for many of the manufacturers and smaller retailers in the industry. And that's a big part of why I don't like the "big box store" bashing that goes on. They're our last best hope.