No offense, but if a fly fisherman doesn't visit the online world for fly fishing he will probably not know the etiquette. It's not like G&F hands out a pamphlet with guidelines on how to behave on the river.

I understand your frustration, but perhaps his under the breath mumbling was actually what you said... thinking you need to learn some manners.

For instance, I'll give you my personal fishing history.

I come from a background of fishing on lakes back east. The rules there, if you are in the spot, it's yours. Perhaps it was somebody like me who primarily fishes lakes and doesn't know that on rivers, you can only enter water upstream of somebody else. (Honestly, even that seems a little pompous, as somebody will always be upstream from your current position if you are fishing a good spot.) And yes, before I hit a stream and see somebody upstream, I will ask first. But I only do that because of visiting this forum and seeing rants like yours.

Lastly, your comments regarding wearing waders when it is 90 degrees out, not everyone likes to wet wade! So really, from my POV, you aren't to different than him in your thinking. Remember, when you assume something, you're just making an *** out of u and me. And if it is 90 degrees outside, then why are you trout fishing while wet wading? If that water is anywhere above 70 degrees you shouldn't be fishing anyways.

Paul