+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: do you wet wade?

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    I would happily wear waders and fish where you fish!
    I don't know what you mean, all the good fishing costs an arm and a leg, I can't afford the "best" fishing here.

Having said this, I would probable love to fish your place without waders

Thorarinn.

Oh yeah... I know the stuff your talkin bout way to well... Never knew what it was called though... You waste no time gettin in the stream though once ya get to it!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I would wet wade more often if I was able to wade at all. Alas, my balance is so poor that I use a gardening bench in shallow water only. And the bench doesn't need waders.

Sometimes I use a handy boulder.

I've even been known to use a folding chair.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Long, long ago I remember that the standard for naval rescue swimmers was this,

combined air water temp. (air = 60 + water = 60 or any other combinations) beolw 120 degrees and we wore wetsuites, above and they were optional.

I mostly fish the beach so all I use is a pair of diving booties and surf shorts. The water is a bit cold but I'm use to it already. I have seen people fishing with waders but I just can imagine myself with them at the beach.
    I believe I can fly fish

I fish only spring creeks, and I wear waders every time.
    Doesn't have any thing to do with water temperatures, it is the poison, the nettles and multiflora rose.
    Mostly though it is the snakes. I used to wet wade in a pair of sandals until last year.
    Twice in the same stream I almost stepped on a snake. that was it for me.
    I know the waders are not really any protection against a snake bite, but it is like putting your head under the covers if you are afraid, it is all psycological
    There are no atheist in a trout stream.

I have never owned or used waders. I did finally ditch the old sneakers in a favor of a pair of flats boots, though.

I'm not sure it's fair for me to weigh in on this, though, since I'm in Florida. There might be two days out of the year that getting a bit wet isn't a gOD-send in this !@%$#%!@-ing heat. o_O

MZR

Never leave the waders at home, not here in Alaska at least. Even on a 70 degree day, that glacier run off is killer.

Cold Guest

Just got back from an afternoon of wet wading for smallies. Only managed one, but it was in the dead heat of the day, and the wet wading was almost as nice as actually fishing. Once again, the Vibrams made it fun & easy, and in the tailwater I was fishing, there's almost no silt, so i only had to rinse out one shoe of a few pebbles, and even then, it was only because i was getting ready to walk back to the car.

Very glad I put the phone in the shirt pocket though. I was in up to my waist at one point!

I wet wade almost exclusively. Sometimes "fashionably" with my Simms booties and my Chotas and sometimes with some ratty lookin old sneakers. I do prefer wet wading onaccounta it's a PITA donning and un-donning(?) waders, boots etc. I was told, however, that wet wading in very cold water is another possible cause of vericose veins. I DO get into some cold water in Wyoming in October but no sign of the vein problem yet.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread