+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Martin Reels

Default Martin Reels

So my Dad has an ancient Martin automatic reel, that he's been using for a long long time and recently something broke inside of it. My Dad took it apart and found out what he needed and called up Martin. The woman he spoke with said that they no longer carried parts since it is an inexpensive reel and that all she could do was send him a new one. Pop almost fell out of his chair when he heard that. The newer Martins list for around 30 bucks and I'm surprised that they would just replace an out dated model for free at the drop of a hat.
    Cheap or not it's good to see that some companies will do this.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

I tried to contact Martin a couple of years ago as I too have an old automatic that I wanted fixed, but I couldn't find a working phone number. Could you post or pm me the phone number?

I even bought a new one and it didn't last a season!

Joe I used Mikes Reel repair for 2 of my Auto reels and he did a great job and was really fast and very reasonable.
    http://mikesreelrepair.com

turvy- I'll post the number as soon as I can find it.

Jeff- My Dad actually was going to get it repaired, but it turns out it would cost about the same to replace it as to ship it off and have it repaired. It's pretty old anyway lol.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

If there is sentimental value in it.... may be worth it to some people.
    Like me when I've had or used sompthin for awhile or if it was a gift etc., its usually worth it to spend a liddle extra to satisfy the heart.
    I guess I'm just an ole softy.

Turvey,

Have a Martin Model 81 Automatic reel still in plastic packaging never opened. Bought it when I was in the market for another auto reel and then switched to non-autos. believe I also have a used old Martin somewhere in my "stuff" but couldn't locate it just now. Also have a slightly used Southbend #1140-A auto reel. You can have the packaged Martin - no charge - just send me your snail mail address in a pm. Sending you a PM too in case you miss this message.

Here is a link to the Martin customer service page: http://martinfishing.com/cust_service.html. It appears they are a subsidairy of Zebco. Telephone hours are daily Monday through Friday. The number works even though they claim to be Zebco.

A few years ago I called the Martin (Zebco) number and it was never answered. Did get in touch with them on Friday and was told it would be cheaper to buy a new automatic. They said to call 716-667-5697 if I wanted my two reels repaired.

Gr. Mt. Man, thanks for the offer and I will send you a pm today.

I will not be fixing mine as I have converted to manual reels, but have always enjoyed being able to zip up my line when moving on to a new hole. The extra weight of an automatic was never a big problem as it balanced nicely with an old, slow glass rod that I still prefer to any graphite. I never play a fish off the reel and that includes some smallies that most people would call a trophy fish.

Manual reels never malfunction while out on the river so I am being converted, I just adjust to changes slowly...and sometimes I'm not certain they are always for the best.

joerogrz,

Per quote below, if your dad doesn't get another Martin reel I'll be happy to send him the SouthBend auto reel I have - slightly used but still works good. Or, free to a good home to anyone. Sent the Martin I had to Turvey today.

"Turvey,

Have a Martin Model 81 Automatic reel still in plastic packaging never opened. Bought it when I was in the market for another auto reel and then switched to non-autos. believe I also have a used old Martin somewhere in my "stuff" but couldn't locate it just now. Also have a slightly used Southbend #1140-A auto reel. You can have the packaged Martin - no charge - just send me your snail mail address in a pm. Sending you a PM too in case you miss this message. "

+ Reply to Thread