Hey Joe. First things first- yes, gar do have teeth, many of them and needle like, typically throughout the length of their snout. I have a friend here in town who grew up fly fishing in the likes of Montana and Wyoming. I would estimate him to be around fifty years young now. Anyhow, in the past six years I've known him, he has become an avid, dedicated, and very creative gar angler. He devised a series of flies to catch them that are not only very interesting, but very effective. He starts with something like a 2/0 Stinger hook with the eye cut off and ties a standard 6XL streamer hook on top of it, hook point up. Then, through the down eye of the streamer hook (now up eye), he slides a piece of wire leader material through down the length of the shanks and ties it down secure. He coats all of this with super glue before going on to tie the remainder of the fly. The fly consists of Kinky fibers or other like materials, and a pair of adhesive eyes, and ends up looking like a long baitfish pattern. I think his best color has been orange, though I can't 100% sure, as he also carries a handfull of them in basic shad colors. I've known him to land gar up to four feet long since our last correspondence. I hope this helps.

Good luck landing your first gar and many more.