+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split shop Help

Default Split shop Help

I do not like fishing lead, and a lot of rivers, IMO a good thing, is going non-lead. As an alternative I have tried Tungsten, Tin, Bismuth, and pewter split shot.

Looking from a cost perspective, Tin has been the best. A water gremlin pack at 1.59 online is very affordable. Although I hate that I have to use two tin where one lead used to do, I'd rather be my discomfort casting than killing the environment.

so I guess I have two questions

1) I hate shiny tin split shot. I like dark non shiny weights. Any easy way to darken up a tin split shot? Can you fire them like brass bead heads?

2) Other than putty, polyleaders, dropper rig etc etc, are there any other suggestions to new non toxic split shot?

thanks for input everyone!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shakeyfly View Post
    1) I hate shiny tin split shot. I like dark non shiny weights. Any easy way to darken up a tin split shot? Can you fire them like brass bead heads?
    buy the dark green ones!

http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=23379
    Last edited by Normand; 06-10-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post

Thank you Normand. I was looking that as an option. Basically, the primary use for this would be on the Salmon River, where I like to use floating lines 10 foot leaders, and need the split shot to get my egg imitation, black stonefly down. With lighter tippets and leaders, I tend to get snagged and break off a fair amount of time. The idea of lead sitting down there is just gross to me. (although I'm sure someone will tell me tin is no better, but ignorance is bliss) So I primarily use one size, and couldn't find anywhere online that sells that particular style in one size in a bag like the Water Gremlins.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    - Riddle

Quote Originally Posted by Shakeyfly View Post
    The idea of lead sitting down there is just gross to me. (although I'm sure someone will tell me tin is no better, but ignorance is bliss)
    If it will make you feel better all of us old guy grew up eating food canned in steel cans with tin linings ( the infamous tin can.) Of course some of us have lost out hair, hearing, memory and gotten fat and wrinkled. Proceed at your own hazard.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

You fellas do know that lead sinkers are not threatening bird populations, don't you?
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    You fellas do know that lead sinkers are not threatening bird populations, don't you?

Lets not open this can of worms.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    sure, but the river i fish on already has it banned, so i need to conform.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    - Riddle

Hi Shakeyfly,

No, you can not fire the zink and have it get dark. In the case of copper, when you fire it, you likely are forming copper oxide on the surface, and the common copper oxides, and copper oxide hydrates are black or dark brown. The oxides of tin, once hydrated are white, and I suspect that they scrub off of the tin quickly, so it will stay with a shine on the surface.

If you can find some sort of somewhat flexible paint, which will stick to the tin, even if pinched on, that may be your best hope for the ones you already own, or you might be able to trade a bait fisherman 2 shiny ones for 1 for green ones.

Regards,

Gandolf

Hi Shakeyfly,

How about just painting it with some waterproof ink, you could then put some varnish or Hard as Nails over it.
    It works on flies!

Thorarinn.

I don't know if it'll work on tin, but I do know that if you soak lead in vinegar it will take the shine of. Might be worth a try.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread