Quote Originally Posted by Thad S. View Post
I can honestly say I have never fished an emerger pattern. To help out a person like myself, how do the patterns vary between "surface" emergers and "bottom" emergers?
For a quick response, which cannot be detailed enough in this space, allow me my opinions. Fish are muggers and take the most vulnerable. Prior to molting to adults, the nymphs become very active, and MAY crawl toward shore or on top of bottom rocks. SOME emerge to adult subsurface, most emerge at the surface or close to it. At any of these stages they are awkward and vulnerable.
So ... at the bottom you could have an active nymph, or one with a bit of wing showing - like a winged wet fly or soft hackle. Nearer the surface you could have - again - a winged wet or soft hackle. At the surface you would do better with a parachute pattern or a Usual/Comparadun for the adult that is trying to break thru the surface. For the surface flies, it is good to use a bent hook so the 'shoulders' out and the butt in the water for the perfect half in/half out imitation. Surface emergers also usually have a nice 'bubble' of trapped air/disturbed surface indicating their presence - and they are NOT immobile, so work on that.
Personally I don't think trout eat many adult flies from the surface, particularly the ones that float sedately (and quietly) down the stream. They are not vulnerable enough to mug.