+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new sunglasses

Default Need new sunglasses

I'm looking for a new pair of sunglasses and just keep striking out. I just want a pair for everyday use and fishing and don't want to spend a fortune. Maybe it's a "you get what you pay for" thing but there must be a good pair for someone on a budget. Any advise would be great.

Define on a budget. There are folks (salties) that think $250 Costas or Mauis are an absolute killer bargain for what they allow you to see. Some think that $150 Smiths are great. I'm fond of my $90 Habervisions. Some use the $50 ones from Eddie Bauer, and some folks buy $15 glasses at Bass Pro and see just fine.

Whatever you get, look for polarized lenses, and glasses that have full UV protection. I prefer a copper or brown tint, but some like amber for overcast days, and some prefer a grey or blue base. Just depends on what you're doing with them and what you want to spend.

I love my Haber Vision glasses with the photochromatic copper rose lens for all around use. The model I have is about $90.

I have also have been pleased with Guideline and and Polar Eyes glasses in the $50 range and Fisherman Eyewear in the $20 range.

go to COSTCO. Last time i bought about 5 yers ago, I purchsed their frames and optical quality polarized lens for a penny each! can any one beat that? The expensive stuff that is sold is "one size fits all"? that doesn't work for the majority of buyers. Why settle for that?

What ever type you get, make sure they are polarized!! Makes all the difference in seeing the fish. I wear clipons as I have corrective lenses. I like the brown tint, the darker the better, and POLARIZED.
    Wyo-Blizzard

You might want to check on SierraTradingPost.com They always have some excellent deals on polarized sunglasses and they
    re great to do business with. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Madison River has some Smith's Action Optics on sale. Pg 6 and 7. Scroll down.
    http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4
    Also, Guideline, although I have not used their product.
    http://www.glpolarized.com/Guideline/Fisherman+Eyewear

You didn't mention if you wear corrective lens or not. If you wear perscription lens, it really does change the game. Sierra TP is a grand spot to buy quality stuff if you know what you want. Its one thing to buy a bargain, another to find glasses that fit well.

Perscription users, the AO Smith line is popularly priced. I personally wear Cocoons over my perscriptions but bluntly am not very happy with them at this point. They just don't fit well and slide down often. I did see some clip on styles at Sam's club that are UV rated as well as polorized for about $18. I would prefer fishing glasses with side shields or a wrap around style.

Good luck on your buying research.

Rick

As others have said it really depends on what you want to spend. I recently replaced my 4 year old Native's with a pair of Smith Riverside (glass lenses) and I couldn't be happier. Like you I bought them for every day wear plus fishing and so far they are excellent in both categories. While Native's are not inexpensive it is obvious that Smith spends a lot more time/money on their optics than does Native. My eyes are much more comfortable in my Smith's than they ever were in the Native's.

I did purchase my online (through Amazon of all places) and the price was very competitive. However, unless you are 100% sure of what you want, you may want to find a local store which caries the line you are looking for as sunglass fit is an intensely personal thing (especially if want them for everyday wear).

Just my .02
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

I wear coccoons over my prescription bi-focals. Getting prescription shades would cost an arm and a leg. I had to get prescription shaded safety glasses for shooting and forget the cost but was something like $300 so I went witht eh coccoons.

Personally, I like them fine. When I got new glasses frames, the ones I had no longer fit well over the new frames so I had to get a new pair that fit better.

After tweaking the pieces that go over the ears a little, they fit fine, don't slide around much if any at all and offer good visibility into the water and protection (UV rated, wrap around).

I'm happy with mine.
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread