Quote Originally Posted by Shane Cavitt View Post
Last summer I got a brief taste of some small stream hike-in fishing while in Colorado. I really enjoyed getting away from the crowds and I plan on doing more of it this year. Right now I only plan to do day hikes (in & out) and won't be camping overnight. For those of you that do this type of fishing are you hiking in boots and bringing along an extra pair of shoes like sandals to fish in? Are you hiking in your wading boots? Hiking and fishing in the same pair of shoes? I am considering a pair of something like the Keen H2 sandals for hiking in and fishing in. I would appreciate others sharing what system they use.
.... which the above posts already reflect.

Probably the first question is how well you tolerate cold, both as in weather and in water. One poster above indicated he has a very low tolerance. I have a very high tolerance. What works for him would be a burden to me, and what works for me would be totally unacceptable to him. So you have to figure out where you fit on the scale before you make any decisions.

Other variables include how good is the trail in, or are you going to be on a route and having to do a lot of bushwacking ?? Wading boots and waders are fine for nice trails and short hikes. Sandals don't do so well on routes and while bushwacking.

Also, what kind of wading will be involved ?? On a nice sandy stream bottom or on the proverbial bowling balls ?? Will there be lots of jagged subsurface rocks that you need to protect against ??

I think you have to let the conditions dictate the equipment, like most everything else in fly fishing. And what works for me with a high tolerance for cold may not be at all suitable for you.

If I were going to peg one realistic approach to most situations, I often wear hiking shoes with socks that wick away moisture, both for hiking in and out and wading. Before you start out, give the shoes a little time to lose the water they want to carry, and wring the socks out best you can. If they are good quality socks and wick the moisture away readily, it won't be long before you feel like your feet are dry and warm even if the shoes are still wet.

One word of caution about sandals that are "closed", like the Simms and Keen sandals. When you get stuff in them whether hiking or wading, it can be very difficult to get that stuff out. Not pleasant. Open sandals like Tevas can be worn loosely and when something gets in, a simple shake of the foot will let it get out. And wearing socks with sandals of any kind can cause more problems than you want. They help contain the irritating little pebbles and grit that you want to get out of there.

The only issue I see with Tevas is security while in the water, especially when there is any serious muck in the system. Velcro closures just make me a bit uncomfortable. I haven't lost a Teva yet while hiking or wading, but I have been in situations where I thought I might, and it could have been a serious problem. The point being, it's good to take along lightweight backup footwear just in case. If the sandals are sized properly, the odds of injuring your foot while hiking or wading are very slim.

John