Thread: Carp = Bad Fishy?...

Threaded View

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I have a great plan to help the homeless, and people living on assistance, but no one in governement seems to be interested in it. My plan would be simple. In leiu of issuing expensive Food Stamps to welfare recipients, instead, issue them a cane-pole for every member of the family, and bait-vouchers, which would also entitle them to special creel-limits, based on family size. They would be exempt from any permit or fee requirements. In the winter (although I fish all-year), they could be issued traditional bows and arrows (I make these, as well), and allowed special harvest limits. Of course, as long as they were on assistance, and in thier home county, or a contiguous one, licensing requirements would be waived. Classes on subsistance hunting and fishing could be given, free of charge. I would be most happy to be a Volunteer Instructor, as I have decades of experience at this.

When you HAVE to catch fish and game to eat, it's a whole different ball-game. You HAVE to go out in heat, cold, rain, snow, ice...whatever, and you HAVE to bring SOMETHING edible home, or you and your family go hungry. It's not nearly as fun as you might think. I'd be willing to bet that most people in this program would find a source of income in a very short time.

But the knowledge they would gain would serve them for a lifetime......Not only do you learn self-reliance, but you learn a lot about yourself, as well....

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Maybe it was the type of gar that I ate, I know that there are different species or maybe it was the way that I cooked it. But I have never seen any other fish flesh like that and I am in no big rush to try gar again after that experience.

I do find it sad that we have some many people hungry in this country and so many carp available. I would donate some of those fish to a shelter since their population levels could use some thinning in my area, BUT I would think that either they couldn't accept fish that isn't USDA inspected or that someone would think that I am trying to do something negative to the homelsss in my area. Why didn't you bring us walleye, but no, we are homeless and you bring us carp????

I know that many hunter donate venison to homeless shelters, it's too bad we can't use this resource better to feed people that are hungry. Carp were brought to this country as a food source.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 04-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.