Thread: how to save the post office

Threaded View

EdD,
    I'm a small business employer. In my business model I decided to provide 5 paid sick days per year ( additional non paid- per my discretion). They are just THAT, SICK DAYS to be used fro the obvious. Vacation days vary with time of employment by me. First full year, 1 week. Second and subsequent years, 2 weeks. Paid in both instances. I REQUIRE the employee to take that vacation for two major reasons. One, it improves morale and TWO, I schedule my projects around the absence of that employee in my plans for any project etc. I may ask an employee to take early or delay a scheduled vacation but try to adhere to my original plan. In my model, it's "use it or lose it". My business model would collapse if I had an employee who accumulated both sick days and vacation days and presented me with a one ore two month absent request. I can live through the absence of an employee for a day, a week or two weeks, but a month would be a problem. Granted, that scenario would be as a result of an agreement between me and that employee but I could not possibly sustain the policy for long.
    As I said before " Great if you can get it". I don't begrudge the employee bargaining for such a good deal. I DO however question the business model that agrees to that deal. Another GREAT example is the retirement health care provided through UAW bargaining with GM.
    The USPS is still a government entity in disguise and as such is insulated from using common sense or logic.
    THis is NOT a subject for debate between you and me. You deserve everything you and your employer agreed to. I, on the other hand deserve the right to make rules that fit my situation.
    Having said all that, while writing this , my bobber went under and I missed the fish. DRAT!

Mark:
    PS: flyguy, you have a lady in a "PINK" house NEXT DOOR ????
    Last edited by Marco; 03-06-2010 at 01:52 PM.