+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fly rod

Hybrid View

Default fly rod

What would be a good beginner salt walter fly rod combination for under 200. I am looking to catch red fish and drum by means of shore fishing.

Sorry, I am not a salt water guy. You might post this also in the salt water section. However, I would keep asking around a bit and do some reading. I am guessing that a longer type rod --maybe a 10 footer would be beneficial and perhaps in the 8 wt. class --but again, I am only guessing. I would also be looking for an anodized reel -- something that will hold up in the salt.

As for rod and reel combinations --- maybe check Cabela's for combinations. Probably better to buy seperately -- looking perhaps at rods like Echo or Temple Forks.

Hope you get some better answers than I can offer.

Not to promote any particular company. But I know personally that the Cabelas Traditional 9'6" 4-piece 7wt Prestige plus combo is a great steelhead/bass rod.

$125

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...457&hasJS=true

Fender,

As noted above, if you check the big stores, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc., you can certainly buy a combo that will work well for you. Both sell sets that will fit your budget. You may find tht, if you go and talk with them, even a local fly shop may be able to put something together for you within your price range.

But you are going to have to decide first what weight rod you want. Depends a bit on what species you'd be fishing for and where you'd be using it.

Good Luck!

Buddy

The problem will not be the rod but finding a salt water rated fly reel that will fit into that price class with the rod included. I'd pay more and make sure that the reel has a durable drag and is hard annodized so that it will last more that a few trips.

It is a big mistake to think that a freshwater rod and reel combo will handle saltwater on a continued basis.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Redington Crosswater. $130 at Cabelas. The rod is good. The Crosswater Reel is made from the composite material and has a really good drag for the price. Its plenty good enough for bonito, barracuda we catch locally. I know people who have used it for salmon. It doesn't look great but it will get the job done. Cabelas Three Forks reel appears to be the same reel with diffrent label. You can always upgrade the reel later.Or the Redington Red2.fly (included Red2.fly reel is same as Crosswater except with aluminum frame) or Red.X combos (Red2.fly rod with crosswater reel).

Also the Cabelas Traditional II with Three Forks or Redington Surge combo.

Scientific Anglers Saltwater Combo. usually around $110. Another composite reel with this package but not as robust as the Crosswater/Three Forks reel.

Or get a Temple Fork Outfitters Signature or Pro series rod, or St. Croix Rio Santo series rod and match with the reels described above.

If you want a better reel get a Pflueger Trion reel ($130 or less) and match with a 2pc Redington Crosswater rod ($70 or less) or other rod.

+ Reply to Thread