+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F-C Pearl Shiner

Best guess would be a 3-4XL straight eye streamer hook, white ostrich herl tail, krystal chenille body, red thread head with either painted eyes or stick-on eyes with an epoxy finish. Considering that it was used for smallmouth, I would assume it is underwrapped with lead, and how you weight it depends on the action you are looking for (e.g. just front wraps of lead versus the whole shank). Nice, elegant, and like all of Ed Story's patterns, a very simple but undoubtedly effective tie. Sort of reminds me of Coffey's Sparkle Minnow (search forum for previous discussions), which is a similiar baitfish pattern.

Blog Entries

They are similar alright, I had never heard of the other. I looked it up and it looks good. This pattern is easier to tie I think. Yes, the addition of weight or a bead head would be good, especially a tungsten one...more so for the sparkle minnow than this pattern. A bead up front would take away from the look of the head I am afraid for the FC-Pearl Shiner.

Bass_Bug Guest

Kel, Even though I figured you already had, I was going to say, why don't you just Google 'F-C Pearl Shiner recipe', it cant be too difficult to find? So I did that and the FIRST result was THIS thread. That in itself was not a good sign meaning this is the best reference to that search. But the really SCARY part was that the THIRD result was for similarly named product for, um, er, shall we say a personal massage type device?

Blog Entries

Yes I did put that on a search engine before asking on here. So my question was the top reference huh...yes that is not a good sign. The second reference you mentioned, I am fairly mortified, and won't be clicking on that link...rotfl.

Hi Kelkay;

I too have been interested in this pattern, as others have stated it appears to be ostrich herl tail, and esatz body but when I look in the Feathercraft catalog at the illustration, I think it has a cone head.

I placed an order with them a few days ago and ordered the pattern sheet for this fly, will share recipie when I get it.

Wayne

Blog Entries

Thanks Wayne. I know one man uses ostrich tail, with estaz body, but whether it is weighted or not, I do not know. He also paints the heads beautifully. I plan to tackle this one as soon as I can.

+ Reply to Thread