What a wonderful thread! All of the opinions and different types of "camping" are such memory triggers for me. I started camping in the Boy Scouts by sleeping on the ground in an old military mummy bag stuffed with down during the summer in Louisiana with misquitos swarming after me and down quills sticking me. I tired seperately to hide by zipping it all the way up and scooting down iside for relief. The relief was only short lived because the bag must have been made for Alaskan winters. I had to come out for air and the misquitos came in for the kill. I didn't get much sleep but kids dont really sleep on these weekend outings anyway.

As I read on I remembered other trips and other camping methods I worked through. In my scuba diving phase my partner was 6' 5". Of course we were sleeping in the back of my '68 VW square back with the hatch open so he could stretch out.

I can't go through all my life's camping but one does change with time for different reasons. Recently I have purchase a 24 foot trailer (vintage 1999). Much larger than I would have chosen but the price was right and it made my wife, a non camper or Holiday Inn camper, happy. Now she can't wait to go places and has even taken up fly fishing!

So as said by many others above it matters not how you go but how much fun you get out of the experience!