+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fun with Foam

Uncle Jesse,

Lots of smallmouth in Roosevelt Lake and Apache Lake, both on the salt river upstream from Phoenix. First smallie I caught on this pattern was on Roosevelt.

I now spend all summer in Colorado, just outside of Durango, at Vallecito Lake. It has a solid population of smallmouth, as well as some world class pike. That's where I do most of my fishing now.

Jeff,

Mine float back just fine, but not with the quick bobbing action of a Rapala. If you want that kind of action, you want a fly like the other ones posted or something like the one I'm posting here. This one is done with Balsa, and works pretty much like a Rapala when you give it a good jerk or strip.

Buddy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I really like that. Nice ties Buddy! it has to be much improved version of the original. Will give it another try.

Buddy,
    Thanks.

I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Jeff, you may also want to look into the wiggle minnow. It's a pattern that is very, very effective and popular on the smallmouth and trout rivers of North Carolina and Tenn. It basically will act like a rapala and is very simple to tie once you have the technique mastered. Darrin on the CFF forum has made a tutorial of it. I've fished it for trout, smallies and stripers in the salt, and it worked on all.

Charlie

Bluefish: could you please post the link to the CFF tutorial for the Wiggle Minnow? I am currently working on those and could use the help!

This isn't the one Darrin had over at the other fourm, but I found it on the web at hatches magazine.
    http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/month/331

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Thanks Jeff, that one's right from the horses' mouth! Worth tying a few it is.

Charlie

Thanks Jeff!

Thanks Buddy, I try to get out to AZ as often as I can in the summer. Gemrod's neighborhood is a favorite place of mine. I have a friend who lives in Mesa I like to fish with. We haven't been to Apache or Roosevelt either, just trout fish on Ft. Apache Reservation and at Big Lake. That's a nice look bug you have there, is that around a No. 6 hook or larger. Smallmouth on a flyrod has been on my to do list for while, pike are pretty scarce down south.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Uncle Jesse,

That diver is built on a #2 33903 Mustad popper hook. The whole bait is around 5 inches, give or take a bit, nose to tail. But with the streamlined bucktail tailing and the lightweight balsa tial, I can still throw it just fine with my 6 wt., even with my 3 wt. if it's calm.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread