+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mallard flank

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default mallard flank

i am tying some stayner ducktails from a recipe on here (http://flyanglersonline.com/features/lakes/part12.php (see i do use the archive) that calls for mallard flank as the wing.

i have 2 bags of mallard flank that ive emptied out trying to find good usable feathers.

is there a primo mallard flank supplier out there? i know we can buy primo wood duck but how about mallard flank??

do professional fly tyers get the cream of the crop and the masses are handed whats left?

What qualities are you looking for, exactly? I have a bunch of flank straight off the duck and in good condition.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    What qualities are you looking for, exactly? I have a bunch of flank straight off the duck and in good condition.
    thanks but i have 2 more flies to finish. i appreciate the offer

Hi Norm,

I looked at the streamer, the 6-14 sizes, and the size of the wing. Even feathers that may look a little ragged, or where the feather has some splits in it here and there when on the stem, look like they would work just fine for the amount that it calls for. If your tying display flies only, go with bronze mallard that you can get in perfect flat shape right from the get go from quite a few places. When I first started tying, I bought a couple of fairly big Shamrock brand mallard flank bags from a Dick's sporting good store. They're obviously not a high end name, but I bet that I could find quite a few feathers that would work just fine on that pattern. Are they tightly curled up? That's the only thing that I can think of why you couldn't get a half inch wide section from some of them. It just doesn't look to me like it takes a really wide strip for the wing. In those sizes, it doesn't seem like it needs to be super long either. I hope this is of some help.

Regards,
    Mark

I tie mine with a fairly slender wing, so even with fair quality feathers, I don't have much problem finding suitable material in the bulk bags I have. I try to keep the good mallard for flies like Zoo Cougars. Are you going to tie up any Sheep Creek Specials? Those are great stillwater flies, too.

Regards,
    Scott

A staynor ducktail is one of my go to fly's. I have never had a problem with the malard flank. Yea some are not the best in the world, some are split, but I use them. I have even gone so far as using a bunch off the stem and tie them in. This is one fish catching fly.

anglers workshop - I think. I got some primo feathers from them. maybe it was them?

Normand Guest

if i was tying these for myself, i wouldnt worry too much and i would try to use the irregular feathers, but these are for a fly swap and i always like to tie the best i possibly can.

Raggedy feathers can't be helped, and if you want the wing to lie flat on the back, then stems that curve right or left aren't very useful. But - mallard flank responds well to a low to medium setting on a steam iron, and some gentle pressure. Test on some not-so-good feathers to get the right temp.

+ Reply to Thread