That is a great idea! I didn't think of it but will take waypoints tomorrow while I can walk around on the lake bed. Those would be good to have next winter to know where to put holes in the ice as well.

I don't have a thermometer to take the water temp in the springs, but it is probably right around 40 degrees coming out of the ground. The only place there is open water is at a spring. If the spring is much below the level of the lake, it is frozen over. Once the level of the lake raises another foot or two, these will be frozen over as well. Normally, at this time of year, the lake is solid enough to drive on with about 2 feet of ice. With the water being drawn down for repairs, the springs kept it warmer and the ice is very unstable. Not knowing where all the springs are, it would be real easy to find a thin spot and fall through.

I'm going to try some midges in the morning at the big hole. If I can actually land something, I will likely be the first person in the history of the camp to catch anything on a fly in January.