Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
There was a spotting scope comparison recently in Bird Watcher's Digest, where they rated scopes at various price ranges. Check out http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/index.aspx and do some digging.

They also have an article on digiscoping, which I have found to be less than possible with the camera that I use.

My experience with spotting scopes is that they are disappointing unless you buy at least a decent mid-range one, and the top end ones are MUCH nicer in terms of clarity and lack of eyestrain. Monitoring a peregrine eyrie with a Swarovski is a whole lot easier than trying it with a Bushnell. If I had $3K lying around I know I would invest in a good one. I also suggest considering the armoring and delicacy of the scopes you choose, and invest in a case for it and a good tripod as well. I would NOT buy one without having looked through it and used it. I did that with a scope from Cabelas for my dad and was sorely disappointed.

Many of the top end scopes have digiscoping adaptors available.
DG: Agree on the "fly before you buy" thingy. One reason I like the place I indicated....you have 30 days..no reason needed to return a purchase...no guff from them. You can get a top notch Swarovski from them for about $1600. An 80 mm with fluorite glass..well...LOL...your talking $2000