+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How painful is it to tie with mono?

Blog Entries

I use mono on a lot of salt water flies that I tie. I like it!

Jeff,

One of the nice things about regular old mono fishing line is that it comes in some nice colors.

I have brown, green, yellow, and red. Plus, of course, clear. It makes a nice rib, as it's simi transparent and can trap a little bit of light. Not sure if the fish care, but I like how it looks.

You can use it as an overbody, completely covering other materials. This can protect fragile materials, and/or produce some interesting effects. Sort of like a real deep finish on wood or metal. Looks a bit richer too me. I like playing with things like light transfer and finish depth anyway. Sometimes I think we ignore that aspect in our flies when it's obviously present in almost all insects and in every fish.

I do use the spooled mono sewing threads for tying a lot of flies. It's cheaper than thread by a wide margin, and it's often better for a lot of applications. Primarily streamers and foam based flies.

I make sure to tie it in tightly and always add a drop of cement or CA glue (as noted above).

One other tip, when using it as an overlay or as a rib, always keep tension on it until you get it tied off seccurely. It will unravel instantly if you give it any slack.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

If you're looking for something that may lay flatter, try a D-rib maybe...

Lately I've found this material to be far superior to mono with all of the same qualities except for the stiffness. Stretches and threads hold it easily. Something to look at if mono is your thing.

You get it at the craft store. It's used for jewelry making.

kelly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Kelly,

That stuff is great. I've found it in several thicknesses and in a variety of colors.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default tying with mono

HI ,

I am new to this site .and with regards to tying with mono.I have been using mono for tying silk for the last 10 years . I buy it in 3000 yd spools then load up my home made bobbins with it.the only down fall is i have to tripple whip finish the heads then cement.

IT is used in the sewing industry for sewing fabric and is called invisable thread ,it comes in clear and smoke colour. IT has a breaking strain of about 1lb.

Regards DANIEL TASMANIA.

The 1st an last time I tied with mono it stretched and stretched all out of control, I gave up and cut it off and tied on tying thread instead. I didn't try again I didn't dare.

Jeanne

+ Reply to Thread