My nearest trout stream is a tiny Driftless area spring creek. Back in the early 2000s before the series of huge recent storms nearly destroyed the fishery I used to fish it every couple of weeks around the year. It was always possible to catch a couple dozen fish ranging up to about 18?. There was one beautiful stretch that was pretty shallow but right up against the shore you could always pick up a trout on dries. There was one bush that hung over the stream that was just nasty to fish. You had to cast upstream under a limb and get in the slot to drift the dry under the bush. But if you could hit the slot, there were always a couple of browns under that bush that would rise to the fly. One day I got a fly in the drift and a huge rainbow came out from under the bush and slammed the fly. In that shallow run the rainbow cartwheeled three times before throwing the fly. Over the course of the summer I hooked that fish three times and never got it to the net. And then the fish was gone. Maybe a raccoon or eagle got it. The DNR allows people to kill fish over 15? and maybe someone couldn?t resist killing a big rainbow. I fish that bush the rest of the season. The little browns were back buy my fish was gone.