+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 wt. reels and rods

Default 1 wt. reels and rods

I'm currently looking for a good 1 wt. reel...I don't really want to spend more than $50 or so. Anyone know where I should start? seems like most reels are recomended for lines 3 and above. what about rods? the only one I've found so far is a 7 ft. 1 wt. by Cabelas but I would prefer something closer to 6' or 6'6"

just looking for something to take hiking when I run across those tiny little streams with tons of over growth. I also want one to supplement my 3, 5 and 8wts. that I already have...thanx guys,
    Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Seven' is fairly close to 6 1/2.
    Cabela's
    I don't know where you could beat the complete outfit - rod, reel, Cortland Clear Creek line, backing, sock and tube for $160.
    Lots of folks on this board thought the same thing....bunch of us have um.

Take a look at the review this week from Capt. Barry Evans on the new TFO cassette reel. I just ordered one for my new 4 weight but no reason it wouldn't work just as well for a 1 weight. It's in your price range as well.

You might want to look at the J.Austin Forbes Magnesium for $75 marked down from $174 listed on Overstock.com. I own two of these reels, one for my 1wt and the other for my 2wt. This is just a bit more than you mentioned spending, but it only weighs 2.2 oz and the quality is excellent. Great little reels that should last you a lifetime. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Randy,
    For $50 you're not going to find a reel light enough to properly balance that short& light of a rod. There is pleanty to choose from at that price point, but just not idealy suited. For cost, I would agree with Buzz that the Cabelas outfit is the best deal in town.

As for rods, the shortest 1wt I know of is Dan Craft's 6'-10" in the Sig III line.

If length is your biggest concern, there are several 2wts in 6'6" and shorter to choose from.

Clarkman23....Check out the rods available from [url=http://www.sierraclassicflyrod.com:86edf]www.sierraclassicflyrod.com[/url:86edf] . He builds super short rods at some pretty great prices. I just recieved a 5'6" 3wt this week and the fit and finish are awesome. I too wanted a rod for those tight spots, but decided to go with a three weight. Bob(owner) is an awesome guy, and very easy to deal with. The rods come in very nice tubes with nice movable handles etc... check them out, I think I'll be picking up quite a few more rods from him over the course of the summer. Good luck

Okay, unless I am missing something it seems you are asking about a reel for your 1wt rod and not the whole outfit. No?

If that's the case, check out the Pflueger Supreme 1834. Hook & Hackle, a sponsor here on FAOL, carries them. They weigh 3.2 oz. and sell for $50.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

thanks guys, I'm just trying to see if there's anything else out there other than just Cabelas, which is probably what I'll end up going with anyway...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

I have an Fly Fish America Magazine that goes over the lightest rods and reels from 2004 or 2003? It helped me buy what I was looking for for hiking and fishing the Blue Ridge Parkway. I can photo copy it for you and mail it too you or anyone for that matter. It was the best comparison of rods. here is the site - great magazine
    [url=http://www.flyfishamerica.com/:9a129]http://www.flyfishamerica.com/[/url:9a129]

foxxtrot: email sent

+ Reply to Thread