The Pecos is a very nice area. The river and feeder streams are awesome fishing (during season, winter is proving to be a challenge) and if you are willing to hike there are stocked alpine lakes and you can follow the creeks into the mountains for miles.

It is also one of the few places that still has native populations of Rio Grande Cutthroat. One of my favorite quick fishes in the summer is to head to the end of the canyon at Jack's Creek and hike up that hitting the small pools and shallow flats.

You don't get any monsters but one or two beautiful Cutthroats makes my day a bit more tranquil. It is nice to be able to do this on a daily basis if I wanted. It only takes me about 20 minutes to scoot to the end of the canyon.

If I want a quicker trip I can just stop along the Pecos at any point in the canyon. Over last summer I was probably on the river at least 4 times a week. I have actually pulled a 22" Trout out of that river so the lunkers are there.

This next summer I am planning some backpacking trips to explore the upper reaches of some of the wilderness creeks. I will focus on Jack's Creek and Mora Creek.

That is the plan anyways...