i've fished from a yak for many years, i have 3. i currently use sit in type but want to get a sit on top to try. as for stability, thay are great and much better than a canoe but not as good as a kickboat (KB). they take some getting used to when casting and do move around with the wind/current a bit but not as bad as canoes or KB. managing your line can be a problem, getting tangled on things in the yak. my advise is to get a skirt for a sit in or just deal with it for a sit on top. not all yaks are created equal. each has differnt designs that make them good for some thing and not so good for others. for example, a smooth rounded bottom is great for manuvering in a fast stream but they do not track well in slower water, you need something with a keel or chines or a rudder. wide and short is great for stability and low weight but are had to paddle straight or for long distances. a longer or more narrow yak is more efficient for paddleing. best advice is try some out at demo days and talk to different dealers about what you want the yak to do for you. most are good people and what you to get what's best for you so you come back and buy more, like i did. remember it's a tool, the right tool makes the job easier. PM me if you want more details.