fresnoflyman,

You're not in over your head with this idea. I fished for a number of years from a Hobie, that I thoroughly enjoyed. I just recently changed my mode of boating to a WaterMaster kickboat raft, but that was because of where I was fishing, not because the kayak didn't work.

First, as to stability, it's the shape and width of the hull that'll guide you. I can only speak to the Hobie, but I've been in some kayaks designed for whitewater and can tell you there's a world of difference. The thing I like about it is it's stability--wide bottom and fairly sharp edges kept the boat incredibly safe even in rough water. The one drawback to the Hobie however is it's weight. I could mount it on the roof of my van or Honda by myself, but it was a lesson in leverage. I understand some of their newer boats are lighter.

As far as your stuff getting wet... one of the first things you should buy is a dry bag. I always store my stuff (wallet, phone, clothes, lunch, etc.) in a dry bag that's easy to fill and just toss in the front of the boat. I would also recommend some type of anchor. I've been on open water far too many times where I'm just getting into some fish, but the wind kicks up, I start drifting away, and dropping a paddle in the water is not something I want to do.

You'll see two types of 'yaks--sit on top and sit inside. For fishing, I prefer the sit on top, primarily for its ease of entry and exit. It's nice just to paddle up to shore, and step out rather than performing an acrobatic balancing act just to get your feet on the ground.

As recommended, check out the paddling section of the board. I know there are others who are kayak fly-fishers. I can only speak to the experience I've had with my Hobie. I still love to go out in it. I can't count the times I've been able to easily drift up to a watering deer or a family of otters, in addition to getting across some pretty skinny water, where nobody else can go.

Good luck,

John