Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
I have been thinking and I know that is dangerous, but, I have a question about the latest fly rods I see coming out and I need those "in the know" on fly rods to help me out.

I have been looking at 6wt rods for some smallmouth exploring that I intend to do this coming year. Understand that I do not like to use a rod that is heavy "in the hand". It just takes the enjoyment out of my fishing, but, I also know that a smaller than a 6wt rod would not be enough rod although it would be lighter and more fun. I also would love for the rod to be shorter than 9' but that may be out of the question. I was looking around on the internet doing research on this and found a company, I will not mention the name so that no "turf" wars start, that is selling a 9' 6wt rod in a 2 piece and please understand that I do like 2 piece rods over all others. This company states that this 6wt 9' rod weighs 2.7oz! Now that really stirs my interest!

Now for my question: Most people who are going after larger fish will purchase a rod that is 6wt or larger and will put a bigger reel on it so that they can have more backing in case the larger fish decides to leave the country. This I understand, but, a larger reel will also be heavier than your "normal" trout reel and I am wondering if all the fly rod companies keep making lighter rods, won't the larger and heavier reels throw the balance of this system off and make fishing with these outfits all day a real pain?

If you check out the latest rods coming out, most are trying to get lighter and lighter and it just seems to me that putting a large arbor heavier reel on them would create a problem. What is everyone's opinions on this? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your thoughts....
Physical weight and "in the hand weight" are two different things. That is if you mean casting balance sort of thing. You will never "see" the differences of a rod blank that weighs say 2.7 ounces and one that weighs again...say 3 1/2 ounces. Its the "balance" ( or lack thereof) is what causes your "arm" to get tired. Try picking up a 2 X 4 in the middle...then try it again picking it up from the very end...see the difference?

As far as "line weights" goes...I do 99% of my fishing with a 5 weight rod(s) of various "power". Bass rods have LOTS of backbone and with it corresponding hook setting power. It takes sharp hooks and plenty of "grunt" to dive a hook into the maxillary plate on a fish like a bass...whereas with trout being "lip hooked" the same "grunt" can easily pull a fine wire fly right thru the lip and the fish is lost.

Not knowing the stream SIZE you intend on fishing I can only comment about the local streams and if yours are similar to mine then an 8 1/2 ft rod / 6 wgt will do you fine. Getting the balance will be the tough part and you may have to borrow some reels ( if yours dont "work" ) with line and backing to get the combo "balanced". But remember if the blank doesnt have "setting power" it isnt going to work anyway.