I know the feeling. I prefer smaller rivers and creeks, but I have fished the bigger ones. Safety ABOVE ALL ELSE. If your "spidey" senses tell you that the water you are looking at looks like its too much for you...it is. Trust your instincts first. It really isn't advisable to hit new "big" water alone. I would advise you to get as much info about the system you are fishing before heading out. (tail water? what sort?) Issues with flash floods? Average depth...obsticles, etc. Your best bet is to save some bucks and hire a guide familur with that water. Once you have had that sort of introduction to that river, you may feel more comfortable...or at the very least, know where the dangers lie.

I am not a very big fan of big water rivers....but I'm a huge fan of guided float trips on them. You can always check with local clubs or test out local web sites or this even one to see if anyone knows the water your interested in. They may be able to give you places with angler freindy access or at least suggest some approaches.