+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Fishing Merit Badge

JC, from the requirements I found, the scouts have to catch 2 fish, releasing one and cooking and cleaning the other.

Just took Flysoup's advice and went to [url=http://www.usscouts.org.:76151]www.usscouts.org.[/url:76151] Exactly what I needed. Thank you all.

JC I believe I read somewhere that the "tell how you would cook it" option is intended for things like scout jamborees where they may have dozens of kids trying to qualify for the merit badge in the same day. It simplifies the logistics of the event and allows the fish to be returned to water that may be very heavily pressured that day.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I find it alot easier to not deviate from the requirements when I teach the FFMB. For the kill portion we use the farm pond my Father had dug in 1968 so I know how much harvesting it can take. My class usually takes 6 to 8 hours with the bulk of that actually fishing. Most of the class portion is devoted to the tying and knots.I use red string licorce for the knots and then switch to mono.It's visually easier to see and they can eat it. My only requirement not specified by the BSA is no one in my class touches a rod without eye protection.

The boy scout fishing merit badge stated tell how to clean and cook one fish--I have been told it has been changed to cook and clean one like the ffishing badge. I will check the fishing badge latest book. In going thru over 150 scouts I have permission to have as many as I can cook one fish,and others in large groups only tell how. Trout would be easy to clean and cook bgills much harder.

------------------
    Bill

Contact North Coast Fly Fishers. I am a member and I'm sure you can find someone to help you out. They have a web site [url=http://www.ncff.net:cf1ed]www.ncff.net[/url:cf1ed] and they are having the 4th annual Fly tying Expo this Saturday in Eastlake. It would be a great place to get started. Beginner tying classes, presentations on fly fishing and lots of vendors with everything you'll need to get started.

fh

I had the boys tie SWHAP fly and a black foam spider. The first let them handle and cut hair off a squirrel tail and I used punch yarn for the body. The second was simple foam from a craft store. I used heavy tying thread so that they would not break it. We kept it to four legs, ( two pairs of two) instead of eight legs and a small section of straw to hold the legs or hair back for the whip finish. Some boys were good at it and made great flies, some were interested but could not tie very well, some wanted to do something else. Also did a casting class with a fiberglass rod and most did pretty well. We are planning a trip to a trout stream this spring, most of the fishing close by is for panfish or bass. I have had one boy complete the badge, but several would like to work on it if they could get to water consistantly. All in all it was a very fun, rewarding experiance. I am sure in times to come the boys will thank you for being unselfish enough to share your time and interests with them.

William Fitzgerald:

Minnesota has a law that says if a 911 call is made from the house, the male will be arrested and hauled off to jail.

The courts will not allow a "Not Guilt" verdict by a jury, as the judges are elected to office. A 5th Degree Petty Misdemeanor, results in a permanent arrest and conviction record, never to expunged from the records.

Misdomeanor: Breaking of the law that is less serious than a crim and brings lesser punishment, such as throwing litter in the street. (Webster New World Dictionary)

I had a teenage daughter call 911, because I did not want her to go out with friends of hers, that I thought were nothing but trouble. Years later, my thoughts were proved to be correct. This daughter is now 21 years old, no High School Diploma, and is a unwed mother of a two year old son, the Father of my Grandson thinks it is more important for him to go to college than pay child support for his son.

I ended up with a "Disorderly Conduct" (Vocal Nature Only), got placed into a "Family Domestic Violent Program" (only me not anyone else in my family} by the Court, and because of that, I will never have a clean record, nor can it ever be expunged from the records. Just because I am a male. Even a Felon do not have this happen to them.

Felon:A person who commits a serious crime, such as murder; criminal. (Webster New World Dictionary)

So I cannot give lessons anywhere, just tie flies in a Reading Room in a Library, where the Liberians know me. If anyone inquires, I just give them Al Campbell's "Beginner's Fly Tying" lesson sheets, and point them to a vise, where all the materials and tools are ready for them to tie flies.

If you are a male, living in the state of Minnesota, you are one phone call away from a jail cell and a permanent criminal record for a petty misdemeanor. For telling your teenage daughter she cannot go out with her no good friends.

That is the price of trying to be a responsible parent.

~Parnelli

~Parnelli

Now you know my dirty little secret.

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 10 January 2006).]

Or just go to the American Family Rights website if you want to read the horror stories of innocent people & families getting destroyed.
    Having worked with the local scouts, may I suggest that any scout of & especially the ones working on the fly fishing merit badge,
    get involved with their local Trout Unlimited, & Federation of Flyfishers.
    Our local Scouts have been working very closely with the Old Pueblo Chapter of Trout Unlimited on many projects such as the Native Apache Trout Restoration; & doing an excellent job (headed up by an Eagle Scout) !!!!

Last summer 18 FFF members with 160 other volunteers staffed fly fishing activities at the summer Scout National Jamboree. 18000 catfish stocked for the event. Cat fish and Wolly Buggers.

Volunteers will be needed for the next FFF stafted Jamboree event this summer in Lansing Michigan when 8000 Venture Scouts get together.

------------------
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread