Quote Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
A silk line can cost $250.00 or more. However, that will last twenty years (I've fished forty year old lines for seasons and they were as good as new), so if you amoritize the expense over that time frame the lines are cheap.

OTOH, the modern plastic lines, we are told, should be replaced every few years because the plasticizers and floatants leach out and cannot be replaced. The Sharkskin and Rodge lines are the latest attempt at simulating the uneven texture of a silk line which is what permits silk to shoot better than PVC. (Silk also floats higher, cuts the wind better, and mends better.)

All that said, I like the Cortland "444" peach lines.
I have new in the box fly lines manufactured 20 years ago that when used perform as new and float high (Cortland, S.A AirCel Supreme 2). I have 15 year old used lines (light use -Cortland 444, S.A. Ultra) that have been cared for and performed as good as new when clean. I was told by reps from a couple line companies that old, unused, lines stored in cool, dark places should be good for many many years.

I have been recently using a Sharkskin shooting line. It shoots better than their standard floating shooting line, but the difference is maybe 10%. The rougher surface is easier to grip with wet hands, which I find more important than the extra distance gained. The shooting line is $60. Not convinced that I would pay for $100 for a full length line.