+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

Hybrid View

Duck hunt in the morning with my dad, then off to my grandparents' house for turkey dinner. Generally we do a more or less traditional meal, but we've done a big German Mennonite meal before (verenike, fried potatoes, german sausage, ham, cream gravy...). I offered to do a fish fry/ grill goose this year, but they didn't go for it.

Default Thanksgiving

This year my wife and I are traveling to my sister's to celebrate with her grown children and families and with my mother, Turkey and all the trimmings
    pumkin pie,apple pie, games and visiting,and normally some archery deer hunting, this year I will hunt the week following the the holiday.Also my wife will be taking family pictures for my sister and her family... that are all home only a few times a year together.
    Flyfisher121

My family do things really early for everything except New Years so i already celebrated my birthday/Christmas/Thanks Giving/Vet. day all 2 weeks ago .. We had Korean style roasted turkey (it was nasty...) some BBQ, which made up for the nasty turkey AND for 15+ people..., gave thanks, watched Titanic (random), gave out and received MANY gifts, hugs and kisses (PLEASE STOP GRANDMA! AUNTIEs!) All in all, it was a fun day

Thanks to my early gifts, mostly mainly THANKFULLY in cash!!! , i now can get better functioning vice that i NEEDED for a while now!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Normand Guest

with the passing of my mother earlier this year, it certainly wont be a nice as that rockwell painting but will be OK.

it will be just my brother and sister in law, their 2 kids and my dad.

the turkey will also be present as will all of the usual trimmings. we are french canadian, so maybe there will be a pork pie (tortiere) and some french meat stuffing as a side dish.

many many years ago when my great aunts were still alive, thanksgiving was always at their house and all of the great aunts and great uncles would be there along with their children and their children. sometimes the relatives from canada would come down to connecticut by the train. some would come in from cape cod, various parts of massachusettes and florida. one long table for the adults and another table for the kids. the adults would have to eat in shifts, there were that many. everything was cooked on an old fashion wood and coal stove in the kitchen. boy was it hot in there, it was also where the dinner table was. but that was years ago and i have some good memories of that time.

today will be the same but on a much smaller scale.

sorry if i bored the heck outta ya!

happy thanksgiving
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Normand; 11-26-2009 at 10:50 AM.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    with the passing of my mother earlier this year, it certainly wont be a nice as that rockwell painting but will be OK.

it will be just my brother and sister in law, their 2 kids and my dad.

the turkey will also be present as will all of the usual trimmings. we are french canadian, so maybe there will be a pork pie (tortiere) and some french meat stuffing as a side dish.

many many years ago when my great aunts were still alive, thanksgiving was always at their house and all of the great aunts and great uncles would be there along with their children and their children. sometimes the relatives from canada would come down to connecticut by the train. some would come in from cape cod, various parts of massachusettes and florida. one long table for the adults and another table for the kids. the adults would have to eat in shifts, there were that many. everything was cooked on an old fashion wood and coal stove in the kitchen. boy was it hot in there, it was also where the dinner table was. but that was years ago and i have some good memories of that time.

today will be the same but on a much smaller scale.

sorry if i bored the heck outta ya!

happy thanksgiving
    Normand,
    I would have loved being there with you. Thanks for sharing those wonderful memories with us today. Cherish them always and please know that on this Thanksgiving Day you are not alone. Enjoy the day with family and know that I am thinking of you.

Ah Norman...the picture of the coal stove brings back memories for me. As a child my family would go to Mr Carmel, Pa to visit relatives and all of the cooking was done on their coal stove. Polish cooking and a coal stove are some great memories for me.
    Thanks
    Bernie

Here is how my Thanksgiving has looked for the past 9 years. My wife is Sharon in the video.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=7141367

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo View Post
    Here is how my Thanksgiving has looked for the past 9 years. My wife is Sharon in the video.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=7141367
    Oh my Gosh what a wonderful person you have in you life!

Thank her for me!

That truly is what thanksgiving is about....

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

For us it is never the same, as each year we usually do something different.

Some years we go back to Ohio to celebrate with family. Some years family visits us here in Wyoming. Some years we have it with friends, and some years (only once so far) my wife works, and we celebrate it on a different day.

This year, we went to a friend's on Wednesday as he had to work Turkey day. Then Thursday we hosted turkey dinner with friends coming over.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Default Holidays.......

Family and friends. God bless us all.

Mike
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

+ Reply to Thread