Thread: STUPID MOVES - Readers Cast (Angler Dave) - November 23, 2009

Threaded View

17-years old, decided to take my personal arsenal with me - .22, .12-gauge shotgun, .243 rifle w/scope for a day's rabbit hunting. Had a great day hunting and burning up ammo. Returned back to our group meeting area to retrieve our vehicles, put my cased guns on top of the car as I loaded other stuff up and, yes, you can guess the rest...
    Drove off in the twilight without a care in the world until I got a very sick, sinking feeling in my gut as I remembered the guns about 3-miles away! I had only made one turn out of the parking lot where I had loaded up the car, so I knew exactly where they would be. Sure enough, and luckily (if you could call it luck) it was dark enough that no one stopped and retrieved them, but also dark enough that no one saw them so they all three were run over. A few dings and scratches on the .22 and the shotgun, but the .243 stock was in 13 pieces and the barrel was almost at a 90 degree bend...stupid move. Rebuilt the .243 stock, new bedding job, gunsmith worked over the barrel and it shoots better now than it ever had prior.
    Thanks for the fun article.
    Live and learn,

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 11-25-2009 at 12:34 AM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"