Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post

In streams, sinking lines with streamers can often be fished very effectively on upstream casts. Current needs to be slow enough that you can retrieve the line and fly faster than the current. I once saw a technique demonstrated that used an upstream presentation in fairly fast moving water. The cast was made far upstream and across. The angler then turned to point the rod downstream, away from the fly. The current caught the bend in the fly line, causing the line and fly to go downstream faster than the current. When trout grabbed the fly, the tension on the line was enough to set the hook.
I have never used a sinking line, but I used the same technique just fooling around this summer with a floating line. I am not sure if I can explain this but I'll try. I cast upstream, did a mend downstream, except when I mended I sort of shot out line at the same time. If that makes sense? The fly line went downstream and curved back upstream and past me. The water was shallow, so I had to retrieve my fly to keep it off bottom, but the current was faster than my retrieve. I could see the fly underwater and retrieved it slowly. By the time the fly was even with me, the fly line was downstream about fifteen feet or so, then curved back up to me. There was some brush on the far bank and the fly floated right past. I caught a little bream with the fly just below me. i was just fooling around, but it worked. At least once anyway. If the water is very deep, I'll bet that it would work better with a sinking line.

hNt