Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hanneman View Post
I would like to call your attention to the fact the Common Cents System (CCS) does not recognize the term "weight". "Weight" is simply a subjective number put on it by the rod's designer. It is "supposed" to tell the angler what line to use, but it is essentially useless. Any (or every) rod can cast any (or every) line for some distance and nowhere on the rod does it tell you the distance that rod was designed to cast. Stick with ERN.

Please don't try to start a discussion of the CCS on this forum. It is a subject of little interest here.
Well, I am here and I am interested.

You will notice that the term "weight" was first used in quotes in my post above. However, your own Rosetta Stone (which I found most helpful and even printed an laminated for future use) connects the ERN to the AFTMA "Weight". I assume that this is because we buy this stuff by the "weight" and not by the ERN. I have yet to see one of your terms on a rod or box in a fly shop. I fully understand the disconnect there as well as the connect. While the term may not be correct, it is the one in most common use. I do not hear anyone saying he has a #7 rod. He or she always says they have a 7 weight rod.

I also understand that this has nothing to do with the forward cast. It is all with loading the rod on the back cast. I need 30 feet of line behind me to load the rod properly. Please correct me if I am wrong, but if I routinely have more or less line on my back cast, your Rosetta Stone is useless as it is based on the 30 foot figure.

I design wide area wireless networks for a living. I live by measurements. My systems' performance is defined by measurements. Measurements are good. Give me a way to measure something and I am a happy camper. A couple of people on this board referred me to your system and provided a link when I asked how to go about determining which line an old bamboo rod I came by would take.

I am impressed with your system. I can appreciate the work you went through to develop this system. However, I would appreciate it if, in the future, you would refrain from telling me what to discuss and where to discuss it.