+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Top Fly Fishing Vehicles

I drove a '57 Willy's Wagon for a few years that was sure a cool old rig. 4wd with a throttle control on the dash...this thing could climb a tree or hills so steep that sometimes I'd get out and walk beside it up the hill "just in case". It was a great fishing vehicle. It got 16-17 mpg regardless of whether I was on a rough dirt road or zooming down the highway going 50 or 55 at the most...yup, it didn't like to go over 55, but talk about a chick magnet! The horizontal wheelbase was exactly the width of a standard railroad track...don't ask me how I know that...

Then there was the 87 Dodge Aries Wagon, which I used to tell my sons was a cross between a Hummer and a Corvette (well kind of, right? if you use your imagination).

I've had a few mini pickups that were great fishing rigs (1970 Datsun, 1976 Toyota, 1983 Ford Ranger). And my current fishing rig is a 1990 Toyota "1 Ton" longbed pickup with almost 300,000 miles. I wish I had one of these newer 4-door nice pickups, but oh well...

Blog Entries

This is my favorite fishing truck. I got this old truck from one of my wife's cousins who is the original owner. I got ALL of the records and receipts for everything that was ever done to the truck as well as the receipt for the truck itself! I had to surrender the original title but since there was additional paperwork needed since the truck had not been transferred since bought new, the clerk told me to get a color copy made to put in the book with everything else.

148,000 original miles when I got it and it was still running and running well!

There is another long story to the name, but this is Da Moose. A lot has been done since this picture but it actually looks better here while I am in the process of restoration and paint prep. All of the rust has been patched. The saddle tanks were stripped out. I couldn't see trying to fill up a hundred gallons of tanks at over $3.00 a gallon. The interior has been completely re-done. I added shoulder belts and grab handles, replaced carpet, added insulation and sound deadening. New sound system, dash cap, and steering wheel and a few other dress up items as well.

It has new wheels and tires, too.

It is close to ready for paint at this time. It is going to get painted the same blue, but no white top. The white is moving to the front in a set of white flames. Has to do with the name.

It recently got a bit more of an engine over the original which is still in running condition and doesn't burn a drop of oil at 152K!

About 350 horses. The stock exhaust has also been replaced with 2.5" tubes and Flowmaster mufflers. I have done ALL of the work done on this truck with the exception of the machine work required on the new engine and welding in the patch panels for the rust.

The Ranger gets me fishing economically, but this thing is a blast to drive. I can sleep in the back if need be and I am going to try some of the ideas for rod storage in the cap.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

My favorite has not been mentioned yet. In fact few people have probably heard of a Dodge Rampage. It's a front wheel drive truck built on the Dodge Omni frame. Yep, small & light, 25mpg city 38mpg highway. Could sleep in the back, if there was no cargo. Came home from work one day to find the wife had sold it for $100, the topper alone would have been worth $300. Wish I had that one back.

Default I cant beat it... its a goat!

Default Saturn Vue

Here's my fishin' buggy. I had to wait till I went fishin' so I could take a picture of it. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Question Do I buy it?

I have a chance at buying and mid 60's International Scout from the original owner. It gets run about twice a year now and has 48,000 miles on it. It has a couple of rust issues but has been shedded all its life. 340 cubic inch engine with four barrel carb. Dual gas tanks that hold 20 each and the owner advises that both tanks are needed as it is a gas hog. Lock out hubs for four wheelin', decent ground clearance and aggressive new Cooper tires. Other people have advised me to be worried about seals and gaskets causing problems once the vehicle was being used on a regular basis. $3000 is what I was told I could get it for. Any opinions would be appreciated...or maybe some other braver soul than myself would be interested in it.

Default Worked on 'em a lot, so....

....I'm thinking you'll regret it. The Scout Cornbinders that old were a parts nightmare at times in my shop and it's been 8 years since i closed my repair business down. My shop was across the street from the former IH dealer and they sent the Scouts to me fairly often because they din't like working on them.

Gas mileage? You'll be able to pay for something nice with what you'll spend on the Scout with regular use.

I'm sitting here thinking that if i were in the market for a useful 4x4 and din't need a full size PU i'd prolly get another Dodge Dakota...had one in a 2x and it was great....had the longer bed and extended cab....got 26 mpg with the V6 too...yeah, would do that again if i had a need...and in a 4x4 too...if that was part of my needs.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

That is a tough question, Turvy. If the old beater has a manual transmission in it, the seal issues are not nearly as severe. If it isn't leaking now, it probably won't for a while.

If you like projects, that would be a great one. The old Scouts could climb about anything but a telephone pole leaning towards you. There are tons of mods and parts for those mods to put small block Chevy or Ford engines and transmissions in them.

I like old projects like that. You could probably get it for less than the $3K if you bring up the parts issues and the like. This would be a serious project, though.

It would be unique but for parts availability, an old Bronco or Jeep would be much better. They are all going to suck up the gas, but it's only money.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread