.... and welcome to the Bulletin Board from Lolo, Montana. Great to have another member from down under, along with Jeff Hamm and Mike Thomas, and I hope I am not forgetting anyone ??!!

Just to expand on the previous posts, it is usual to have what is called a shorb loop on the butt end of the leader to do a loop to loop connection to your fly line. It is also common to have the shorb loop on the tip end of the leader to make a loop to loop connection to the tippet you use. However, it is just as common to have a small ring added to or incorporated into the tip end of the leaders to which you attach the tippet.

Also, it seems the majority of the people using furled leaders prefer them to float, unless they are nymphing or fishing wets flies. A minority of us prefer the leader to be submerged, even when fishing dry flies. For example, I use a thread furled leader made out of Danville 210 Flymaster Plus fly tying thread ( using a method quite different from Kathy Scott's ) which submerges but even then will not sink a size 20 dry fly. My experience and thinking is that a leader absorbing all the currents between the fly line and the fly in THREE DIMENSIONS results in a better drift than a floating leader which can only absorb the currents in two dimensions ( I would write "two dimensions" in smaller letters, if I could, but I don't know how ).

There are a good number of previous threads on the Bulletin Board which go into a lot of detail not only on how to make furled leaders, but also how to make the boards or jigs used to make the leaders. The methods used vary from simple twisting mechanisms to motorized jigs which fall only a bit short of fully automated furling jigs.

John