Peter,

Viewsonic are good terminals at a reasonable price, and have been for a few years.

But the graphics card is another variable you'll need to consider. What you see on your CRT is generated by the graphics card in your computer. The CRT draws the picture you see based on data sent to it by the graphics card. (BTW -- I think 24 bits is able to represent more colors than the human eye can distinguish. 2 ^ 24 is a big number.)

CRTs vary in the data rate they can handle. The data rate is determined by the resolution (number of pixels), the number of bits needed to represent each pixel, and the refresh rate of the CRT.

It's possible that your 17" Viewsonic may not be able to handle the data rate generated by a high resolution graphics card.

Someone has to read the specs to know for sure. Somewhere on the internet, there's information about the data rate your CRT can handle.

But it's probably the graphics card plus CRT that you want to think about. It will require some homework. Hope that makes sense. I could try again if it doesn't. I'm not a graphics/photoshop type myself, but I know some.

[This message has been edited by BigFlatBrook (edited 30 December 2005).]