+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dad and the Kid 2009

Hybrid View

kelly,
    ive said this a few times throughout this thread but definitely keep them coming i really enjoy it. beautiful pictures and fish!
    "Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day!"

Thanks, guys for your responses to my query. We will continue this thread for 2009 and then start a new one for 2010 if that's okay.

New report for the weekend. since the season is waning, and they will close the road to my favorite spring sometime between now and December, we have been trying to get to that particular water as often as possible. Hope we aren't boring you with the pics and stories, but that is where we fish quite often during the season, and I want to share what we experience there.

The Kid has finally reached it - he has outfished me on my favorite spring the last two times we've been out. This has rarely, if ever happened, but it finally has arrived and I must admit that perhaps he is getting a bit of an edge on Dad, besides a big head! I taught him how, tied the flies, perfected the method and developed the strategy and believe it or not - he paid attention!

We started early again. With the advent of Fall and cooler weather along with shorter days, we have still had to start out in the dark and rig up in the dark since our best efforts and results are before the sun hits the water. I invited my best fishing buddy Buzz (buzzroach), along with another great fishing friend, Gary (gbflytyer), to go along. Michael brought along his friend Chris and we had a quorum! We left at 5:30 a.m., picked up Buzz and then Gary, and then we were on our way. We ran into snow up on Kelly Canyon road, but dropped back down to the river to wet and cold with a light dusting of frost on all of the foilage.

We arrived at 6:45 and decided we were just a bit early so we sat in the truck and BS'd for about fifteen minutes. Again we rigged in the dark by headlight - the Kid and Chris were much quicker than the old men - and we headed for the water. Quite a bit of fog on the water, which made for some spectacular photos. Mike struck first blood while we were still at the trucks getting rigged up, but it didn't take us long for myself, Buzz and Gary all to be into good fish. We got photos of some, but plenty more got away with and LDR or splash out of hand before we could get decent pics.

The Kid's first fish was 23-inches and a real beastie (reminded me of last-year's Silver Creek beast that I caught) and most of the fish we all caught this day were at least 20-inches or better. Buzz did catch a nipper, but that was the only small fish of the morning. By 10:30 the sun was up and the fish were down so we left. The flies du jour were the standard two-nymph rig of a size #14 flashback Pheasant-tail, trailed by a size #14 olive scud, both suspended under a Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger in a PMD emerger imitation. For the record, between us we caught about 4 or 5 fish on the parasol fly, not uncommon, but not usually that many takes to that fly in a day.

Here are some pics, Enjoy!

Man, this early morning stuff is killing me, but the rewards are worth it! Gary and Buzz getting rigged by headlight.

Kid's first fish of the day

One of the Kid's many beasties for the day!

They just kept jumping on his hook and seemed to all be this size!

In the net!

Gary and Buzz with the Kid and Chris in the background

Where we fish! Early morning on No-tellum Spring Creek, somewhere in southeast Idaho.

Gary and the boys in the background

Fish on!

Buzz in the fog

I will post more pics just following this post

Well, there it is, hope you all liked it. The Browns in this water have been bigger and better than in the past, but I'm sure that comes as years pass and fish grow. It has been a blast and I'm glad to have this special water so close to home - no fees, no pressure, and lots of action on most days.

Have a great week and Tight Lines to everyone!

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 10-05-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Don't forget to look at the post above as this one is just an extension to post more pics, here they are:

One of my good fish - caught him on a streamer.

Like I said - the Kid smoked us all!

Another smooth release

Beasties, beasties, and more beasties!

We'll end it with this "In the net" photo. Gee, doesn't 9" plus 11" equal 20-inches? You do the math...

Thanks for reading and for your responses.

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 10-05-2009 at 03:55 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Kelly,

Great report! The pics of the beasties are great, but the one of Gary witih the boys in the background and the one of Buzz in the fog are my favorites. Great photos all around. Thanks for sharing.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Kelly,

Never admit defeat!!!!! Bad hip, sun was in your eyes, dull hook..... I've got hundreds of them for you. But never admit it. Great report and pics. The fish are unbelievable in that creek, although I think I see Jimmy Durante in that one fish your holding up. Thanks for the post.

Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Kelly,

Never admit defeat!!!!! Bad hip, sun was in your eyes, dull hook..... I've got hundreds of them for you. But never admit it. Great report and pics. The fish are unbelievable in that creek, although I think I see Jimmy Durante in that one fish your holding up. Thanks for the post.

Beaver
    Thanks, Beaver. I'll get the Kid next time, I'm sure of it! I think I recall that fish mumbling something as I released him that sounded a lot like "Hachachachacha! And with a tip of the hat he was gone...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

Great read and pictures.

I know when my son out fishes me (with startling regularity) deep inside, I'm proud. Doesn't mean I like getting outfished but having my boy do it sure does take the edge off.

Your pictures and stories are priceless.

Thank you for sharing.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread