Thread: Orvis does it again

Threaded View

Bass_Bug Guest

Like more often than not, this thread has deviated so far from the original topic, most of the replies are totally irrelevant (to the original topic)

I'm not an Orvis basher (I own a few items with the Orvis logo) I was merely pointing out a few things I thought were bad marketing choices by Orvis in THIS story, not in general. Like making a statement that they are downgrading certain parts, like the ReCOIL guides. ReCOIL guides are in the middle of the (retail) prices range, nothing I would call Ferrari jewelry. I've made a few rod for myself and I'll only use ReCOIL, because they makes sense. I'm surprised they are not standard with all rod manufacturers now days. But my point was that for a $500 rod, I would expect better than low end parts on it. The really bad part here is that they are advertising this fact. THATS the bad marketing part of it, the worst part is the measly savings this change nets for them.

The biggest problem I had with Zach's story was the quote "...they're built on the exact same tapering and scrim technology as the Helios rods, with many of the exact same mandrels used as forms."

Thats great I guess that they can offer a rod for $200 less than a nearly identical model, at least Identical in action. Isn't that why buyers of this class of rods buys them in the first place? Doesn't anyone else want to ask, "So what makes the Helios cost $700 if both are made on the same mandrels with the same scrim, isn't that the same blank then?" Isn't the proprietary graphite formula and taper the bulk of what your paying for since you cant get it from anyone else?

Ok before someone pipes up with "yea, but it's not as light". I only read "....the rods will be slightly heavier". I don't suppose we know what the weights are, for like (length & line wt) rods? 1/4oz, 1/2oz difference perhaps? I think it's safe to say the guide difference probably didn't even register on the scale. The reel seat? Unless they went to cast iron, did that make more than a 1/4 oz difference? Does anyone even KNOW what the specs are on the reel seats? I like like to see just how many people can differentiate that subtle of a change with a strung rod .

As for snobs. Having any particular gear does not make one a snob, it's when they try to tell you that you have to use what they're using or you'll never be as good. we like what we like, and that is all subjective. If we all like the same thing, there would only be one manufacturer with a very limited line of products.

Buy what you want, I do. Tell us what you like and what you don't like. We all DO like to hear REVIEWS of products. But when it comes to telling me what I myself would like because YOU like it? Unless you've seen me cast and know the water I fish, shut the h3ll up, you have no idea what would work or not work for me.
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 09-10-2009 at 03:39 AM.