If you take either end of a furled mono leader in each hand and give it a pull, you'll feel how elastic it is. It almost feels like a rubber band. When you put it under full tension, and suddenly release (like when you pull free from a snag), it's that slingshot effect that causes everything to end up in a mess. So if you tend to get snagged alot, that elasticity can be a problem.

I on the other hand fish big rivers, and on rare occasion, hook up with bigger fish. Since using furled mono leaders, I never snap off a fish due to an overly aggressive strike. That used to happen to me fairly regularly, but the elasticity of the furled leader helps soften that shock. So for my environment, I'd use nothing else. The elasticity is a feature, not a bug.

If you do have some mono furled leaders sitting around, something you can give a try. One guy I know submerges all his furled mono leaders in spar varnish, then hangs them up and lets them dry. He says it takes the stretch right out of them. I've never tried it, as I said, I like the stretch.