I've reentered fly tying after most of my life away from it (since I was a kid).
I'm a fairly quick study in that when I see something that agrees with my sense for how a machine should work, I'll invest in it.
First, I had to see if the urge to tye was worth the pursuit. It was.
I bought Cabelas starter set with the "Pro" vise. It works fine, after I ran it through my shop and slicked it up on one of my lathes. But still, it was made in Pakistan, or India, or some such crap hole of the world.
It served the purpose to find out if I would once again enjoy fly tying.
In a couple of weeks of tying, I knew I wanted to go rotary, it just made sense to have the option of rotary with stationary. In that sense, I do enjoy progression in machines to help accomplish things. After all, we are on the Internet.
I read of some skirmishes with Nor-vise users elsewhere and wondered enough to do the research into the Nor-vise, as well as many other rotary vises.
Nor-vise was the only one that appealed to my mechanical thinking. If one is going to do rotary tying, that vise has to be able to spin if need be, not just turn around. And the vise has to handle the range the owner of it wants to tye. That was a small quandry for me, would the standard jaws do what I wanted to do?
Well, you ever seen a #28 hook? I tye them on the standard jaws. Mosquitoes. As well as my desired range down to a number 10, which is as large a hook as I use.
Oh, I've tyed some really big ocean sized hooks for hat pin gifts, with a safety pin on them. But I don't count those as fly tying.
I've bent several hooks while tying them in my vise. Then fixed them and tyed on to finish the fly.
But when building a body shape with 14/0 thread, that rotary spin comes in right handy as a pocket on a shirt.
I don't need to try a bunch of vise's, just like I don't need a room full of fly rods. (I have 3 boo fly rods, 2 reels, and 2 tying vises, one a beginners vise, and the Nor-vise.)
I just have to be happy and able to do what I want to with what I choose to use.

BTW, about any vise around can be adjusted to bend hooks, or not. It depends on what the user does adjusting it.

So it boils down to equipment that does what YOU want it to do. How much YOU have to bang your head on the wall, buy and sell, or cuss and snort, kinda is your plot to get where you want to be.